Mirroring in flatpattern

[ Edited ]

Mirroring in flatpattern, any reason why we can't?  I'm using ST8.  I often add "tabs" to my sheetmetal flat for bending purposes so that a back gauge on a press brake or folder has a parallel edge to the bend line. I tab, sketch an etch line then etch it for .dxf export to laser. Exactly what this command was meant for, but MANY parts have identical ends that need bending and I'd like th option to mirror the tab & etch. We'd need to be ale to create planes as well in "flat pattern"  Example shown..  This part happens to have two parallel bend lines but for ease of machine setup i prefer to have them flip the part around and use the same gauge dim. for both bends.

Any other options?

Thanks guys!

2 REPLIES

Re: Mirroring in flatpattern

You could do one thing to make it easier. In the flat, instead of beginning with tab, you could draw it as a sketch, then mirror it with the sketch. Then you could at least know that it was a true mirror and don't have to worry about the second tab being identical.

But I agree, mirroring would be great to be able to do on flats. Also patterns. I hate having to go through and create all the individual little tabs on knockout features. It's time consuming and on some parts it takes far longer to do this than making the part in the first place.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Re: Mirroring in flatpattern

[ Edited ]

The way mirror works and the way it recognises identical parts could use a major overhaul.

1. I want to be able to mirror parts then make a change to the origional or the mirror without effecting the other.

2. I often have the same flat bent different ways, it should know that and allow for it on the cut list of flat patterns.

3. Mirrored parts should show up on the parts lists the same way the origional part does.(CutX, CutY, weight, description, etc....)

4. Now include in the desire to mirror a flat, that really throws a wrench into things.