Solved! Go to solution

Mirroring - some cutouts appear then vanish; copy/paste converts to surface model.

I have drawn a rectangular protrusion with a pattern of cutouts.  Most of the cutouts create through holes but some of them (deliberately) break out of the edge face.

When I try to mirror it, I find that, initially, I get a mirrored protrusion with all the cutouts.

Then after a second or so, the mirror versions of the breaking-out cutouts disappear.

I presume this is a bug.

I also find that if I then try to delete objects, I can delete the mirrored pattern of cutouts, and I can then delete the mirrored "master" cutout.   When I then try to delete the mirrored protrusion, I get the "busy" circling thing for about 11 minutes, then it stops with a box titled "Delete failure": "The selected items could not be deleted".  This is really annoying - I cannot think it's meant to do this.  I now need to recreate my geometry from scratch instead of re-using parts of the existing drawing.

[Is there some way of interrupting the circling "busy" cursor rather than waiting 11 minutes?  This is on a reasonably fast i7 machine, Windows 7 with 16 Gb ram.]

I have tried copying the geometry, without the mirror feature, into a new drawing.  This is interesting - the new drawing seems to be a surface model instead of a solid model - see missing edge faces in the second image below.  (I presume the colour change is significant too - what does the purple mean?).  Is this another bug?

I note that the current ST7 student download is still the same as as it was a few months ago.  Is there going to be an updated version to fix bugs? 

I wouldn't describe myself as an SE expert... I find it hard to learn when I keep grinding to a halt.  Have I done something silly in my original construction? (and if so, how can I tell it's not a good idea?).

Thanks

Roger

8 REPLIES

Re: Mirroring - some cutouts appear then vanish; copy/paste converts to surface model.

Hi,

Could you share your model here?

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Re: Mirroring - some cutouts appear then vanish; copy/paste converts to surface model.

This is because you didn't include the Vertical Faces, so SE doesn't know how to handle the cut

Make sure you ADD these faces to the Mirror

Yes, here you are.  Panel1.par is the result of the original mirror operation.  It seems fine except for the cutouts in the mirrored (right hand) section that are missing from the edge.

Copy bug.par is the result of me selecting all features except the mirror and trying to paste them into a new drawing.

Hope this helps.

Roger.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roger1861
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Hi,

I understand your issue. Bob's suggestion is good too.

Synch patterning and mirroring is a little bit "special animal". Smiley Wink

Here is a video about how you can do this:

Imics

BobMileti wrote:

This is because you didn't include the Vertical Faces, so SE doesn't know how to handle the cut

Make sure you ADD these faces to the Mirror

Thanks, I can see that the mirror tool is able to mirror faces or solids (didn't know that!) but I think I had the whole solid selected and it did in fact manage to mirror it.  I can tell this because the right-hand (new piece) half is a solid; it includes a face that is the mirror image of the one in your diagram.

I would hazard a guess that SE's decision algorithm decided not to mirror the edge cutouts because the mirror cutouts might have inadvertently removed material from the original half (and vice-versa).  This would be sensible except that in this case, no material would get removed (because more material had already been removed by the parent cutouts) so the rule is not infringed.    On this basis I would still classify it as a bug!

Roger

Thanks very much - nice video!  I presume the menus are Hungarian?

Roger

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roger1861
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Roger,

I agree that this is less then perfect, but now that you understand it better, I think you'll come to accept it's limitations (or as you state trade-offs) and just remember to add these.

Maybe they should ADD a radio button option on the toolbar to "Include affected Faces" when mirroring.

So I think this is not necessarily a bug, but a limitation.

Bob

Hi,

Yes, it is! Smiley Happy

Imics