Model from draft bend lines

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

First off. Thank all of you are helping out. This forum is good.

My next question has to do with using existing bend drawing to make a part model.

Let's say I have a bend drawing with bend line. When modeling sheet metal, I can point to the bend line and say it's either the outside or the inside of the sheet metal. What if the bend line is really the bend line, what then? I drafted some part in 2D before we upgraded to 3D. And I have historical parts created with simple verbal descriptions. Say 5" Square pice of 10 gage with flanges bent on 2 side at 3/4" in.

The only problem is. I can't tell the problem to make a bend from a bend line. I hope I'm overlooking something yall can point out.

9 REPLIES

Re: Model from draft bend lines

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When you pick a side to place the bend, don't pick a side, pick in the middle of the two sided arrow (Ordered) or in Synch set to Centered Between Mold Lines.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

I may be misunderstanding you, but at the step where you choose the location of the bend you can move the mouse so that the arrow points both ways (pint right at the line) in which case the bend is on the line as you want.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In specific I'm talking about the +bend command used to add a bend to an existing sheet metal part, not when adding a flange. In this case, the option is not available. This is also exactly when you need it. 

Case example. I have an imported sketch of an existing part. Use the outline for a tab, and use the drafted bend line to bend up the sheet metal.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

I get customers that make me do this every now & then also....It really is quite easy, once you remember, to make your bends from the outside inwards to your stationary face of the part, so your sketch is oriented correctly for the subsequent bends.

Like this quick [read...rough] example video.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

As guys have mentioned there are many ways to what you want.

Here are two videos how these work in Traditional and Synch mode. I hope this will help.

Traditional (but sketches are in Synch)

Synch mode

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the Vid Imics,

Synch does work the way I'm seeking. This is one thing Synch does that Ordered does not. I tend to test stuff in ordered.

Problem solved, use Synch

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I can't make that same option available. I also am not able to post vids to how how I can't make that option available. All I know is that I can't bend the same way you are showing. Very frustrating. My options are one side or the other or to match with a profile. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Finally found the answer. Once the bend command is started, If you already have outside or inside being used from a default from previus use, then one has to go click the "from profile" button to be able to select the cetered version of the bend line. Very non-intuative.

MLombard
Retired

Thanks for posting the answer. I'm sure it will help someone else with the same question.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.