Modeling on imported part

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm coming from using SolidWorks. Is there a way in SolidEdge ST8 to edit an imported body like in SolidWorks. For instance, in the most basic explanation, if I have a .step file that I import into SolidEdge and all I need to be done is a hole cut through the part but I want this done in SolidEdge. How would this be done? So far the only way I've found to import a part in is in an assembly which limits editing/modeling capabilities.

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Betreff: Modeling on imported part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

hi @testes

this simply should be solved choosing a part template for opening the step file rather than an assembly

If You take a .par instead a .asm while importing (You will be asked during the procedure) You shoulb be able to fully continue the modeling of the imported body

20170403_2215.PNG20170403_2218.PNG

And I think You can work better on imported models and You can modify more at the geometry due to sync

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, SE is far superior to SW when it comes to modifying imported geometry.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Modeling on imported part

Creator
Creator

Basically it is very easily done, start the circle command....select a surface or create a plane draw the circle and pull it through (-) option...pretty simple not having seen the part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bshand

without knowing SWX but knowing what I can do with my SE I think this - working on imported model - belongs to the most effective functionality of SE and of Sync

This now is back several years - we had ST2, what also means that our capabilities were far beyond those we have today - but even at thse time I had to work on an imported model (via step) which they were even not able to modify within their native system.

Changing several radii in a cast model was a matter of view seconds (or 1 minute) rather than the impossibility of them in the original CAD

This really I always remember as a glorious moment in sync.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Modeling on imported part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This is when you want to be in Synchronous mode. Within the part environment, left section on the tools tab.