Solved! Go to solution

Modeling with Multiple Windows

I am trying to use multile windows when modeling.  Is there a way to show differnt display configurations in each window? and or turn items off in one window and not the other?

It seems to only let you change view rotation and turn clipping on and off.  Am I missing somthing?

Thanks

John

27 REPLIES

Re: Modeling with Multiple Windows

I think what you are seeing is all you get.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Any one license of Solid Edge can only open each single part one time into an occurrence of SE (yes there can be a 1000's of them in the model). If you make a copy of the files and place it in a different directory then you could open both at once using a second occurrence of SE with the same license. But there is no way to get two views that are active on the same model. You can stretch the one view across two monitors, but that does not how I like to work.

I made a list of about 50 ER's about two years ago. Only the top 20 got filed, That one was about #45 on my list.

Are you talking about viewports like this? 

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author John-Matthews
‎04-25-2017 08:07 AM

Hi @bhaskin

no I think this is not exactly what was requested.

Multiple views of one and the same 3D document is no problem with SE.

Wether You arrange them side by side or as 4 quadrants, this makes no difference.

But there always are the same configurations visible, exactly the same parts shown, only the zoom area and the view directions differs.

I believe, what the original reuqest was, to show different configs, different parts in those windows.

And Yes this could be a good enhancement.

regards
Wolfgang

Yes,  I just need to show differnt display configurations (Parts on and off) in each view.

Thanks

Hi @John-Matthews

I think this will not be possible so far.

Multiple windows in SE shows the same situation of the 3D document.

Any changes will be in every window.

regards
Wolfgang

I filed an ER.  #8830404

The way it should is work is the second copy opened is read only. Then you could inspect with one instance while working in the other. 

When some of my model is parts used in another this would really really help.

Where this is a common issues is when some core complex parts are being re-designed from one situation to another. 

12GAGE wrote:

The way it should is work is the second copy opened is read only. Then you could inspect with one instance while working in the other. 

You should be able to do that with a second instance of SE.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200