Modelling the Interior Volume of a Bottle

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am wondering how to perform this operation using boolean commands.  I used to know how to do this, but I have forgotten.  If I remember correctly there was a sequence where you extruded a block around the object and then subtracted the bottle from the block, and then performed another sequence with a different boolean and you were left with the inside volume.  I just can't remember the sequence.  I know how to get at the inside by converting and using synchronous, but on my particular part (not a bottle) the operation fails and won't let me get to the model I need.  I remember the boolean method was almost bulletproof, even on really weird surfaces.

10 REPLIES

Re: Modelling the Interior Volume of a Bottle

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I will try to upload an example I made years ago (my interval volume was the water inside).... In the meanwhile ...

1) create a volume body (cylinder) around the bottle

2) use the command Split to get 3 bodies (the thin bottle body, the volume body and the sliced thin bottle body).

3) Delete the External Region of the volume body

4) Export that bodies to an assembly to play with them.

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here goes the file (just saved on ST8 version due to some supression to get a smaller file).

Feel free to use the file or change it (It was made for a contest years ago, but to be honest I don't remember the rules dedicated to the use of images or digital data from it anymore. They could even be expired now).

BR

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

There are some ways to do what you want. Here is a video about modeling beer mug (sorry for Hungarian language), but you will see my steps. I suggest using ordered mode in this case.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Imre,

I would like to have a beer with you right now :-) :-)

Ota

BTW:Video is superb.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, none of the suggested methods will work in my situation.  I am starting with a very complex part, that I cannot blow away the exterior surfaces, because the surface conditions do not allow Solid Edge to delete those surfaces.  Also, I am starting from a part that I was given as an STEP file.  Solid Edge will not let me insert this as a construction body probably due to it's exterior geometry.  Therefore, I can just bring it in as a construction, pick the interior surfaces and sew it up into a new volume by capping.  That is why I was wondering if anyone knew the Boolean method for creating interior volumes.

MLombard
Retired

@mdamsonI've done this sort of thing a lot of times, and probably a lot of different ways. The base skill for everything is to  be a killer surface modeler. If your imports don't work as solids, you have to be able to make it solid or make a solid from it. Turn on shaded with edge display, and run a check for open edges on the surface to find out where you need to fix it up. Depending on where the gaps are you might be able to do the boolean trick with the surface. Fixing surfaces is another whole issue. If you post the file, or even send it to me privately, I can give you a hand with that.

The boolean method is to make a solid body separate from the bottle that has faces flush with any openings on the bottle. Then use the boolean tools to subtract the bottle from the block, and discard anything on the outside. Hide the bottle, and whatever is inside is the volume.

Another way is to select all of the interior surfaces of the bottle, create a flat surface cap, and knit the inside and the cap together as the new solid volume.

Either way requires clean imported data, so getting that cleaned up is your first priority.

Seriously, send me something if you want help, I did this kind of thing for years.

Matt.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I modelled up a part that is similar to the one I am actually working on and saved it out as a step file.  I am trying to make a part that is the interior volume of this part.  Solid Edge won't even let me insert it as a construction body, without failing.  If you guys have any ideas on how to maintain a linked relationship to this part for the interior volume I would greatly appreciate the help.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @mdamson,

Will this do it for you....?

I managed to open that STEP file fine, and made a PAR file from if, to which I used as an IPC to copy the internal surfaces & patched, then stitched as a solid. [ST9 files attached]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Yep that works. I must have been missing where you prepared two different bounded surfaces at the line discontinuity to get it to work. I also had the wrong construction box checked when importing the part via part copy. Thanks.