Solved! Go to solution

Modify face style

I've created a new material and given it a standard face style, then modified the face style within part edit to adjust the color by adjusting hue, saturation, etc. This works in the current part edit, however each new part created does not reflect the modified face style, they take on the standard material face style/color.  How do you modify the face style color (other than the standard face styles) for a material and make it update in the material library? Do you have to create a new face style first, and then create the new material and add the face style to it?

3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Planker81
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Modify face style

1. Open the Part with the Face Style you created.
  2. Open the Styles command (View tab).
  3. Select the Face Styles in the Styles Type area.
  4. Select the Organizer button.
  5. The Materials.mtl file should be listed by default at the top and it's Face Styles listed on the left, if it is not the default browse to it and select it.
  6. The open Part file Face Styles are listed on the right.
  7. Find your Face Style on the right and elect it.
  8. Select the Copy button with the arrows pointing to the left.
  9. Close and you have now transferred the face style to the Materials library.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Planker81
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

When creating new face style (or any other style), I also click on Organizer button, which is on the right side of the Style dialog box. In new dialog box (style organizer), I select my new style from the list on the right (this is current part) and click on the second copy button. Now, this style is copied to the material.mtl file.

When opening new file, I can now go to style, click on organizer button, and copy this style from material.mtl to my new file.

But, since this is quite annoying procedure, I do it slightly differnt.

I open the empty file and then create new style (face, dimension, etc.). When new style is created, I save this empty file back in the templates folder as my new template file. So, when opening new file, I am opening this modified template, which already has all the styles defined.

Doing so, I don't have to play with Organizer button and material.mtl file.

I hope, that this helps you a little bit.

Great, thanks. That's what we'll do.

Seems funny that you can't modify a face style for a material and update in library. It only allows you to change to a different face style and update in library.