More STL Save Options

[ Edited ]

Yes, I'm broaching this subject once again. Our company recently acquired a 3D printer for conceptual work, (Hooray!) but it immediately exposed some productivity-limiting downsides unique to STL export...

1. Almost every file type you can save an assembly as, EXCEPT .STL, has the option to save only the shown (Visible) components in the exported file. This would be pretty darn useful to put in the options panel for STL save!

2. Another one for the options box- offer the ability to save an assembly out as individual .STL files for each part. This is even more of a no-brainer than an assembly export sheet metal flat pattern option- of which we have to resort to macros.

These are what I'd consider the 'low hanging fruit' of STL experience improvements.

-Dylan Gondyke
10 REPLIES

Re: More STL Save Options

Dylan,

You could IPC [Insert Part Copy] the assembly into a part file, as "construction", make a all emcompassing protrusion, then run a boolean intersect, and save the STL from there.

Sweet new toy in the office!...we'll need photo's of course.  Smiley Wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I'm trying to get a photo of something that is not proprietary to a customer, impressive, and has no print failures. Getting all three to happen at the same time is rather difficult.  Smiley Frustrated

Perhaps over the weekend....no one will mind a GT40 part or two slowly rising off the build plate.

Your description is a solution to a common STL head-scratcher, but not one of my problems. I find it easier to orient details and prepare nests in Solid Edge assembly mode before bringing it into the limited Makerbot software, and these were some immediately glaring export options that exist elsewhere in the software for other file types.

-Dylan Gondyke

Chally72 wrote: 

Perhaps over the weekend....no one will mind a GT40 part or two slowly rising off the build plate.

I certainly won't....in fact, you'll need my postal address to send my copy to???? Smiley Wink

I hear ya...assembly STL export would simplify life, for sure.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Any midrange modeler is the wrong solution for 3D printing.

You need to look at Geomagic, Rapid form, Polyworks, etc... In general, programs based on polygons rather than primatives.

If you want to say with Siemens software, Imageware surfacer has become part of the NX series. That is a reverse engineering program with a heavey learning curve.

What polygon program you want will depend on the exact subject matter you are trying to print.

I went and made myself a home vacuum former, but I couldn't afford the 3D printer! I've been waiting for work opportunities to force this purchase for a fair few years now. Smiley Very Happy

-Dylan Gondyke

[ Edited ]

12Gage (What is your real name by the way- you've been around for quite a while now and I feel silly typing the username..) My needs don't really justify a separate modeling software. Besides, why would I need one? I'm not making 3D figurines or contoured pen holders- most of this stuff is complex (and TINY) sheet metal assemblies with lots of bends and milling steps. No reverse-engineering of product, no heavy surfacing. We're using the printer to skip building an entire tooling chain just to get to a finished piece to try it out.  

-Dylan Gondyke

Hello Chally72,

My real info:

Scott Leacox

Engineer for Valley Industries

www,Lubemate.com

BSME 1990, Steel designer

Largest projects: Nasa Launch tower, Sand blasting system for C5 Aircraft, Ugrades to a rock quarry. Starting of a laser scanning department for survey.

50K+ hour of Autocad. Also used VersiCAD, Solid Works, Imageware and a bit of about 100 other programs.

Now I just draw up sheet metal for a punch and folder machine.

In general, STL is a polygon format, A program that edits polygons would be best for STL file controls. Even more specific, STL was not diveloped for printing, it was diveloped for creating 2.5D civil polygons from photo's.

Dylan isn't saying that you cannot export an assembly as STL because you can, he is saying it is missing the Option to only export the visible parts.  As it is now, it exports everything.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hi Scott,

I see now why you're such a stickler for more process documentation features. Smiley Wink

-Dylan Gondyke