Move model from assemly to sub assembly

Is there an easy way to move a part from an assembly to become a part of an existing sub-assembly within a model? Assume the part I want to move is at the bottom of the tree, and the assembly I want to move it into is at the top of the tree.

9 REPLIES

Re: Move model from assemly to sub assembly

[ Edited ]

Yes it's very simple if I understand you correctly. In the "Modify" Toolbar you'll see "Transfer" which will open up a dialog box.

see here:  http://screencast.com/t/0yxrTmLSW

Two quirky things to remember:

1). you have to be in the Parent (TOP) Assembly for this to work.

2). If there are no "sub assemblies" you need to highlight the Top Assembly in order to create a new sub assembly.

Bob

Hello,

One thing to check when using the transfer tool involves moving multiple parts to a new subassembly.  For instance, when transferring a piece of sheet metal and PEM fasteners from a main assembly to a new subassembly, I've found that you need to make sure your main part is grounded.  I've run into several occasions where nothing is ground and when you start constraining parts, your "main" part will flip all over the place.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

[ Edited ]

Good point Kyle...

Also Patterns do NOT move either. So you'll need to "Drop" any patterns in the Assembly before you can make a move.

I wish Development could fix this. I some times want to move a plate with a patterned screw set to a different Sub Assembly and need to delete and then re-create it again once it's moved.

Bob Mileti wrote

"I some times want to move a plate with a patterned screw set to a different Sub Assembly and need to delete and then re-create it again once it's moved."

Good point

I second this request.  That would save a lot of time.

Kyle 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

[ Edited ]

I would like to add one more twist to this question. Is there an easy way to make a copy of a portion of one assembly into another.

The process I'm trying to work out is inserting an assembly of a pump and valves that includes a welded mounting bracket. Once the required space for the assembly is used to position the welded bracket, I then need to copy and place the bracket into the weldment file.

Right now I place the pump assembly, then also place another copy of the pump bracket, then delete the assembly after the individual welded bracket is in the right place.

I think the correct process is to make an assembly for this process where everything except the welded bracket is switched to not show up in draft.

Using "replace part" might be quicker. You can, in case you don't know, replace an assembly with a part and vice-versa. If the bracket is made in the same orientation as the pump there's a better chance the mates will maintain. Better still to make the bracket from a copy of the pump and deleting everything but the bracket. That way the entity instances will match and the mates should stick.

Not sure the way you suggest is the "correct" way, correct being somewhat relative. You don't always want to carry all the overhead of the full assembly.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Replacing may be the best way to go. Good thought process, thank you.

I just have to make sure the part (Bracket) I want to end up with is the first part of the assembly used to check for the space required around the bracket. Then the replace operation becomes easy.

Do you mean make sure you use the bracket features to mate the assembly originally? If so, then yes, I agree.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

The bracket would be mated to a single sub assembly that it needs to end up in for a welding drawings.

To locate the bracket, I need the bracket along with many other parts to move as a group in the general assembly.

The end procces becomes. Place bracket w/ parts into the overall assembly. Once positioned, replace the part. Once replaced, then move (Transfer) the part into the sub assembly.