Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move view center permanently?

Genius
Genius

I have some pesky imported models that have a view center in the middle of nowhere. I can rotate as wanted while holding the middle mouse button down and waiting a second, but I'd prefer a more permanent solution. Any ideas?

Thanks/Harri

10 REPLIES

Re: Move view center permanently?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I was trying to work out the process for you, but I don't have a good example to create so I'm afraid the best I can give you is hints.

It's a 2 step process.

In your current imported model, create a local coordinate system near your solid body.

Save.

Create a new part file and Insert Part Copy of your other imported model, and select the new coordinate sysetm as the reference. You don't need to link the file.

If that doesn't work, you still need to create the local coordinate system, but you may have to export to a neutral format and re-import, checking options to use the newly created coordinate system as the reference frame.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If you are importing into the synchronous environment, which is recommended, simply select the entire 3D geometry and use the steering wheel to move it close to the base coordinate system if it is away.

Also you can zoom in close to the solid geometry and set the rotation point using the middle mouse button.

Does your case fit in any of these categories ?

Genius
Genius

Thanks Scott and Tushar!

No that I've played with the file a little more it seems there's an invisible entity at a fixed distance from my part. If I move the part with the steering wheel, the view center moves. If I use the fit button the part zooms away and the screen is mostly full of nothing.

I've attached the file (for once I can..) in case it helps diagnose the problem.

/Harri

I drag selected the 3D geometry and the culprit was found:

RotationCenter02.png

Then got rid of the two planes in that area and also removed some PMI especially linear_1 and linear_5

Zoom fit and the part now appears much better:

RotationCenter03.png

Attached is the modified file.

Not sure if any critical component/feature of the model is lost when deleting the planes and the PMI

Kindly check.

Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.IN

Genius
Genius

Hmmm.. I don't see the same improvement, even if I delete all PMI, planes etc. The speck you have marked, what is it exactly?

/Harri

Genius
Genius

Here's my drag select, looks different from yours Tushar?

/Harrizoomfit.JPG

Its a reference plane from which some model geometry is dimensions - note the brown dimensions attached from the model to that speck - I deleted that one first and when zoomed in to closer to the reference plane, you should see another reference plane.

I deleted just those two refplanes and PMIs

Are you able to open the part attached in my previous reply ?

Genius
Genius

The zip appears empty!

I pressed Ctrl+I first to get an isometric view.

Also the modified part file is attached again; its in ST10 format.

Note those brown dimensions in your screenshot - focus on eliminating those.