Moveing files from Insight to unmanaged server

Experimenter
Experimenter

We are currently using Insight to manage all of our files.  There are certain things that we do which prevent Insight from being the right choice for us.  We currently have tons of files that are on the insight server that need to transfer to an unmanaged server.  We are trying to find the least painful way to transfer these files in large batches without issues (i.e. errors, broken links, etc.)  Any help is greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES

Re: Moveing files from Insight to unmanaged server

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I used the 64 bit version of RichCopy via command line and the webdav address to copy the files out when we moved away from Insight.  I set up a batch file to script the command line copy of each document library to the corresponding file share folder.

Example command line: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Rich Tools\RichCopy 4.0\richcopy64.exe" "\\SPservername\davwwwroot\sites\cp\ce\es\COwork" "\\fileservername\agiletmp\export\product_cad" /ALWS /CNF /C /FIF

You will have to look at the RichCopy documentation for the meaning of switches at the end.  I can't remember.  You can get RichCopy here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx?pr=blog

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Just to make a copy of the files will end up in broken links because if you used the LCA and the files will be moved from WIP to REL directory the internal links in the assembly file are not updated. Insight is using another technology to find the proper files.

You have to run a clever redefine link solution or you use the Revisionmanger via API to solve this issue.

BTW: Which problems/challenges are you facing that Insight is not the correct solution? We have more than 30 customers in all sizes (1 to 150 seats) and different kinds of complexity - from simple workflows to complex process integration, single site or worldwide information distribution.

May be there is a solution to stay with Insight!?

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In our case, we were going to a PLM solution and the "links" in the PLM system were built from the Insight/Sharepoint DB using the DocID and SELinkdata info.  As far as internal SE links, that didn't matter as the PLM system downloads them into a single folder local cache and thus SE resolved the links just fine.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

We have tried multiple things to transfer files.  The most reliable thing that we have done is creating an unmanaged copy in insight.  The issue is that it is taking about 20 min. per assembly.  To do this for the thousands of assemblies that we have would take forever.  I do not believe that it should take that long.  Is there something that we are missing like a setting that is incorrect?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am also in the process of transferring a large amount of files (130Gb) from Insight to an unmanaged server in preparation to moving to a different PDM.  We have a VB program that copies the files from the Insight server to unmanaged similar to richcopy64.exe that @Grundey described, but it also has a line of code that changes the status of the parts to "available". It may be faster to use richcopy64, then run a program to change the status since later I am accessing all the files' properties anyway.

After the files are copied on the network, I copy the entire folder structure to a local SSD which makes the following steps much faster.

The next step is to run a modified version of LinkChecker that comes in the Customization folder of SE that will generate a list (text file) of all broken links in the exported files. The Search for Broken Links tool in RevisionManager will give similar results. Most of the broken links are pointing to a user's cache so I can run Redefine Links to fix those. Some links I need to fix manually by looking at the BOM on the draft to see what the correct file should be.

The links repaired through Redefine Links will likely be added to my modified LinkChecker program to automatically fix those broken links.

The data I am working on are live files so for now I am getting all the steps in place to pull the plug on Insight and when we are ready, I should be able to do it all in one weekend so we do not experience any downtime.

If you have someone who can modify the VB.NET code I have to suit your needs, I'll be happy to share.  If not, send me a message and I can see if I can help.

Brian Watt

Royston LLC

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

At the end of the day, Insight is nothing more than Sharepoint data.  There are plenty of utilities on the interwebz for dumping all the Sharepoint files to disk.  Just google dumping or extracting *Sharepoint* files to disk -- do not focus on Insight per se.  Within the first 5 hits on my first attempt at searching for such a tool...

Little tool to extract all files out of Sharepoint

Once you have all the files to disk then you can focus on cleaning up the data for import into your new system  For the clean up of the dumped data look at using the Data Prep Utilities we provide with Solid Edge.  Just because we provide these utilities to help you import Solid Edge data into Siemens PLM managed products does not prevent you from also using these utilities for your own purposes.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:index_managing_documents:xid599335