Moving Solid Edge on another laptop

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Guys

I need your help. I want to move my Solid Edge (Student License) from my weak PC to the new powerful laptop. When I write the password I can't press OK button. I haven't uninstalled Solid Edge from the old PC yet, may it be the problem?

7 REPLIES

Re: Moving Solid Edge on another laptop

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @BartekW,

What version of SE are we talking about here?

Did you use the same installation [.EXE] file for each PC?.....and do they have the same version operating systems?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

It's Solid Edge ST8. I used the same instalator on both new laptop (Windows 10) and on the old one (Windows 8.1)

Phenom
Phenom

My guess is that you need a new License.dat file from Siemens. The license is tied to your hard drive's serial number, therefor it won't just work on the new system.

Not sure of the proceedures with a Student license but for a commercial lisense this requires a phone call to support.

Bob

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

BobMileti wrote:

Not sure of the proceedures with a Student license but for a commercial lisense this requires a phone call to support.

Bob

@BobMileti, This is sort of off-topic but you can change PCs with the GTAC online license management tool. You have to delete the old PC to free up the seat, then assign it to the new PC's SE CID. Then download the new license file.

It's a rather arcane process so it may indeed be simpler to call it in.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Builder
Builder

I might be wrong, but I don't think a self-release is possible with a node-locked license. I believe the only way to do it is with a call to GTAC; they are pretty good about this and have always released the license immediatly when I've had to do it. On the OP's problem, I would recommend getting the most recent version of the software installer, rather than using an older version.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Keye wrote:

I might be wrong, but I don't think a self-release is possible with a node-locked license. I believe the only way to do it is with a call to GTAC; they are pretty good about this and have always released the license immediatly when I've had to do it. On the OP's problem, I would recommend getting the most recent version of the software installer, rather than using an older version.

"self-release"? If you are referring to my post and to switching node locked PCs, I've done the procedure.

Edit: Without involving GTAC.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @BartekW,

Should really be posting to the Student Edition forum about this, in order to get visibility with the right admin people.

As far as I know, licensing for Student Edition & also Free2D versions of Solid Edge, is to the users sign-up name, with no connection to the computer system, so there is no restriction to transferring to, or even replicating on, another PC,....and can do so, as many times as required.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10