Moving files/folders from one server to another, keep date created?

Legend
Legend

I'm trying to copy folders from another site server onto our server, and just realized all the files now have today as the created date. What is the proper procedure to do this and retain original file properties (date created)?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
4 REPLIES

Re: Moving files/folders from one server to another, keep date created?

Phenom
Phenom

BoatTech wrote:

I'm trying to copy folders from another site server onto our server, and just realized all the files now have today as the created date. What is the proper procedure to do this and retain original file properties (date created)?

My IT did the same some month ago, at the beginning I didn't realize it untill after a moth I noticed all my draft had the same date ! Shame on me to not proper check the result. Wors thing was that after a mont the original files were already deleted. Long story made short I had to retrieve the original creation date from my PDF archive and then with a custom macro made by myself change the date of the draft to what it originally was.

My next move will be to not use the creation file date but a custom property.

To move\copy file and keep the original creation date there is alot of tools mostly for free, I do remember in the past to have used a cmd tool called xcopy. There is another software also free called robocopy. Another method would be to zip the files into an archive then unzip in the destination folder.

Francesco

Legend
Legend

Yes, my IT person said the same, to use the robocopy command. So far, it seems to work with the proper results.

Thanks!

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

Do the old X-tree Z-tree stuff work? I have not used thoes in a long time, but have consitered them for file management in general as I build up a CAD system. They were my only method of file copy before windows came out. Once windows hit 95, then Xtree became Ztree.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ztree is a good suggestion if it's an unmanaged database.

For those that don't know Ztree is a powerful file manager program that evolved from the DOS days. And it has the ability to change dates on mutltiple files at once. Among other neat features.

If I was in an unmanaged environment I would be using Ztree often.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200