Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to a new office - server won't be available, need to copy files to local drive temporarily

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

We are moving to a new office next week.  Unfortunately, our ISP, even with 5 months notice, has not set up our internet access - they are trenching to run fiber to our building.  Our server is going to stay at our present office temporarily so I won't be able to access it for a while starting Monday.  I need access to my files that are in a main SOLID EDGE folder.  If I copy the files from the server to my workstation (about 12.5 GB, 25,000 files) and work locally for a while, will I then be able to copy them back onto the server with the same relative path and not have any link issues?  We've changed servers a few times over the years and I've never had an issue.

Here are some of the other items on the server I need to deal with:

1.  Templates

2.  Reports - I have a standard BOM setup I use when making assembly drawings - it's path is on the server

3.  Holes

4.  Material table

Can i just create a folder called ENGINEERING and put everything under it so they are in the same relative locations to each other?

One other wrinkle - I have a part time contractor who works off the folder as well.  Any thoughts on how to handle his access needs temporarily?  I'll talk to our IT person to see if I can share my local drive with him.

Thanks!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
5 REPLIES

Betreff: Moving to a new office - server won't be available, need to copy files to local drive tempo

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @kjoiner

first I would consider the "PackandGo" function from ST9 and ST10 to get the files from the server to the "local drive"

If all files are from the base folder downwards, it should even work with a simple copy from/to

Depending on, how many files are necessary for Your coworker, YOu can consider a cloud service like OneDrive, GoogleDrive or DropBox etc.

ST9 and higher works well with those shared cloud storages  - but turn on the appropriate options under the Manage Option menu

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Moving to a new office - server won't be available, need to copy files to local drive temporaril

At a previous place of employment I would often take work home. Which may be analogous to your situation. I would just duplicate the relative paths on my copy media and home pc. Or like you say with the Engineering folder, pick the highest possible folder as the root and duplicate paths under that since you won't be able to start with \\server. So it was easy to export and reimport. You aren't using any file management/PDM right? As for the templates, etc. you could also duplicate the paths for them or change the file locations in settings.

As for accomodating the temp maybe you should consider cloud storage.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Moving to a new office - server won't be available, need to copy files to local drive temporaril

Gears Phenom

@bshand@hawcad

You are correct.  We are not using any data management.  I'm hoping that just copying to a high level folder will take care of the path.  I'm going to look back through my posts to see if I can find the question I posed about the server.  Dan Staples replied on that thread and provided some info on how SE searches for paths.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

AFAIK it will always look "down" with no problem. IOW current folder and subfolders. But it has been a while...

Edit:

"LinkMgmt.txt", which is pointed to in folder locations is what I was trying to remember which defines the folders to be searched and which may assist you. It's not used with Insight so I have little experience.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom

Hello,

I was able to copy the necessary files to my local drive and everything worked well.  Thankfully, when I arrived at our new office this past monday, the server was set up and running.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1