Multi-National Insight installation problems

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Does anyone have any tips/experience for/with Insight accessed from several countries?

Specifically We have engineers trying to access the database, (local to me) from another country. The internet connection is a known issue. The ping time to the server hosting the data is about 180ms.

With other Systems we have, (Including Sharepoint based) we have just gone to a cloud arrangement. This seems to work much better. I have been reluctant to follow with the Insight installation until I can get more information.

Cheers

4 REPLIES

Re: Multi-National Insight installation problems

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

We have done this for multiple customers. But there is no common way to solve this. It is always a case by case situation because the infrastructure differs always.

Here are some hints:

- Check the Virusscan Software configuration because we found out that this software is the root of some performance issues especially in the HTTP connection between the client and the server

- Use the Cachemanger options to do the replication with the local cache overnight

- Make use of the a Multisite solution that is available. It is an investment of less than 3.000 $ and it will boost the performance

- Check the environment with a professional partner because there are dozens of variables you can turn

Kind regards

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Stefan,

- Check the Virusscan Software configuration because we found out that this software is the root of some performance issues especially in the HTTP connection between the client and the server

The Virus issue is something I was aware of, but I'll revisit to see if anything has changed.

- Use the Cachemanger options to do the replication with the local cache overnight

Where are the Cache manager options? Are you saying it is feasible to cache the entire database locally on each client? Our database is only ~14gb but multiplied by several clients that would be a lot of data.

- Make use of the a Multisite solution that is available. It is an investment of less than 3.000 $ and it will boost the performance

I am not familiar with multisite solutions. Are you referring to Sharepoint multisite solutions? Can you suggest any?

- Check the environment with a professional partner because there are dozens of variables you can turn

I am thinking you are right. I am the first to admit I am out of my depth here. I'll have to consult with our IT dept to find a go forward here.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know if we can get any improvement,

Cheers.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The Multi-site option he is referring to are what is commonly called a "WAN Accelerator".  These are network devices installed at each site that do some very interesting things at the IP packet level with comparisons and caching.  They reduce traffic congestion and the need to transmit duplicated data back and forth.  Solid Edge recommended Riverbed Technologies product I believe.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Where are the Cache manager options?

Start -> Solid Edge STx ->Insight -> Cache Manager

You have to install the Insigth Client Software to get this! Then you can schedule the sync of the cache. We have customers scheduling the CacheSync over nicgth ind specific projects they are working on.

More in the "Insight Implementation Guide". 

Are you saying it is feasible to cache the entire database locally on each client? Our database is only ~14gb but multiplied by several clients that would be a lot of data.

This is what happened at they end! But the data size will increase not in one step just when it is needed. The data will only appear in the cache when they are needed.

Are you referring to Sharepoint multisite solutions? 

Yes. We have done this with the some customers. We work together with Avepoint. It took some time and effort to create a reliable solution because the standard replication would not work because of some Insight issues. But we have it now working for some customers and there are more projects in the pipeline.

This solution is a real replication software. It will replicate from one server to another. The data will go throw the small VPN only once. The clients will get there data from the local server. There are lots of options to control this sync workflow. Also you can control which data is on which server.

One customer uses this solution and they do only backup from the server in the main office. If a server in a subsidiaries crashes they switch to the main server (less network performance because of the low bandwidth)  and they send the VM by Mail and do a resync. This will take  2 days but you will save the effort in administration.

WAN-accelerator:

We have one customer doing this but we face the problem that sometimes the Solid Edge Parts are not up to date. The meta data are fine but the BLOP is not updated. Seem to us that there is some kind of caching. But this is probably solution depending.

Maybe somebody has an idea about it.

Kind regards

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de