Multi body design limitations (?)

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

In the past, I made use of the split part command to split parts into linked sub parts.  For example, I make installation templates that are used to make drilling holes to anchor our machines to concrete floors.  The templates are usually several feet long so I split them up to make the easier to handle.  With multi-body, replacing split part, a different approach is required.  This is my first venture into multi-body and it seems to be more difficult to work with than split part.  For example, I put some oval cutouts in the template halves for handles.  In the past, I would create one cutout and then mirror it over to the other side, update the linked parts and move on.  Now, I'm finding that multi-body won't let me do that.  Am I missing something?  Here is an image of the template and you can see the obround cutout I want to mirror.  It's a simple part and this was a 5-10 minute job with previous split part tool.

Template.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
22 REPLIES

Re: Multi body design limitations (?)

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Can you drag Split down to the bottom of the tree and then do your mirror above it?

Devide Part is still in the software. Just not on the ribbon.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

PLM World Member Phenom

Jason,

I got around the problem by dragging the handle cutout and mirror plane to just below the original protrusion and above the split.

I'm glad you mentioned the split part sitll being in SE.  I thought I recalled someone mentioning that in the past.  Where is it located?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Jason,

I meant divide part. Smiley Happy

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

RMB Customize on the Ribbon.

Seems to me that Devide Part is the same as doing all your multi-body devides at the end of the modeling process.

I don't know the future of Devide Part.

DevidePart.PNG

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kyle,

As @JasonTitcomb says, it is still inside Solid Edge,.....I get to it via "Command Finder". If you prefer to use this, it only work in Ordered mode.

ST8_PSM_DividePart [CommandFinder].png

ST8_PSM_DividePart_DividePart-UI.png

ST8_PSM_DividePart_ParentComponent.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I had the pull down for customizing the ribbon set to "all tabs" and not "all commands".  This many years later, I'm still not liking the fluent interface but that's a Microsoft issue not an SE issue.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Good to know that "some" SE Icons/Commands are not in the ribbon bar!

I will check all Comamnds under Customise after new SE releases Smiley Wink

Yasser

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Sean,

it seems, it works in Synchronous too. I tried it and it works fine.

Yasser

Devide_Parts_01.jpg

Phenom
Phenom

Has anyone else noticed the odd limitation of the split part command? - it doesn't let you split a single body with two solids into two bodies i.e. if you were to extrude two circles to make two separate cylinders (but just one body as far as SE is concerned), you can't split them into two bodies.

Does anyone know a way around this? Obviously my example is trivial - in this case you'd just extrude one, then add body and extrude the other.