Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Multi body design limitations (?)

Phenom
Phenom
I created a par shown in the last screenshot from Extrusion3 & Extrusion4. Then I tried to split the PAR from the XZ Plane.
It works...

Phenom
Phenom

@YD did you 'split' or 'divide'? (I'm talking about split) and were the two extrusions, two separate solids or one solid? - I can't tell from your screenshot

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

YD wrote: 

it seems, it works in Synchronous too. I tried it and it works fine.

Hi Yasser,

Funny, I tried Synch approach first, and I couldn't get it to work...SE only lists "Split" when I search for "Divide". Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP1] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Divide Part command

Note Divide Part is an ordered modeling command; it does not exist in the synchronous modeling environment. Use the Divide Part command to divide... are associative to the original part. Typically used on molded parts, this command is useful when you model one part and later want to divide it into separate... the first divisionThe first step in dividing a part is to select the reference plane or construction surface that defines where you want to divide it. A..
Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

devide_01.jpgdevide_01_R.jpgdevide_01_L.jpg

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In my situation, Divide Part is a much more efficient way to work.  I think SE needs to provide more tutorials on work flow when using Multi Body.  When I first started using Solid Edge, Divide Part was use for the tutorial involving a mouse.  You had a single, master part, then split it up according to the main housing parting line and the buttons.  So I think there were 4 parts.  When you wanted to make a change, you opend the master part, changed it, then all of the subordinate linked parts updated.  Where I'm struggling with Multi Body is that as you add bodies, you seem to lose the ability to control everything from one master part.  This may be where I'm missing something.  Having to constantly jump back and forth activating this body or that in the main file is more trouble than working with individual files.  An example is the mirrored cutout I posted yesterday.  Once I have the multiple bodies, I can't simply mirror copy a cutout from one side to the other without moving things around the tree - in Ordered.  If I'm working in Synchronous, I'm not sure what I would do.  There are a lot of examples for splitting up imported parts such as the robot hand, but how about something as simple as my floor template where I'm starting from scratch?

What's strange is that during the ST8 certification test at SEU2015, out of depseration, I acutally used Multi Body for the 1st time ever so I could split off a part that had off angle cuts in order to measure a volume.  It worked, but I took a brute force method to make it work, and had no concerns about properly working with the file later.  I want to make sure I follow a proper work flow and SE is not giving too many clues or guidance on how to use the new tool.  This seems similar to Virtual Parts where unless you want to screw around with a lot, you might do something you regret later when you open the model after a year and forgot how things were done.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

Hi,

Yes, it has some limitations, but this will be improved in ST9! YES! Smiley Very Happy

But, you can do this now, but there is a "little trick":

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Gears Phenom

Imics,

Thanks for posting the video and the "trick".  Just to play devil's advocate, it seems that:

1.  Mirrored features must be handled before splits are made.

2.  After splits are made, mirroed features must be mirroed as surface faces and then boolean

subtracted 

What happens if you have to move cutouts etc. around the tree when you have thinwall features or other features where you have to be really careful about order?

I agree that there are improvements to be made in ST9 along with Solid Edge providing a SUBSTANTIAL set of workflow instructions, tutorials and videos to explain a new feature that is a big departure from how things were done for over 10 years.  Also, if Multi Body has such limitations, Divide Part should not have been hidden from use.  I think there are cases for both methods - just like Ordered and Syncrhonous.

Kyle

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

OK,

Here's a perfect example of what is driving me nuts with Multi Body.  In the attached image, I have 4 holes that are located by a sketch linked to my machine assembly and some floor brackets.  I'm going to use some new floor brackets with holes moved more to the front and rear as shown by 4 new circles that are linked to the new bracket.  All I need to do is edit the hole I created, go to the profile step and move the holes to the new circles.  SE won't let me do that because it's not an activated body.  Of course it's not, it's what should be the master part, the hole feature is above the split part in the tree.  This is the frustrating mess I'm talking about.  This is a stupidly simple part and I've wasted a lot of time messing around with Multi Body and now I can't even edit the position of some holes!

Move Holes.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

Well,  I got it to work by activating the other body, but what if I had 15 bodies, how would I know which one to activate?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1