Multiple Configurations of a Part File for FEA

Hi, I'm trying to run a few FEA simulations on a part with different loading conditions. However, the complete model has many fillets, and to decrease simulation time, I would like to suppress certain fillets for specific loading conditions. 

I have experience with SolidWorks and their Flow Simulation package, which we use for CFD and Heat Transfer. I can easily suppress or change geometry, save them as configurations, and run the different simulation parameters on each configuration. 

Is there a way to do this with Solid Edge FEA? If so, how? 

Thanks,

Nevin

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -- John W. Gardner
8 REPLIES

Re: Multiple Configurations of a Part File for FEA

Hi,

If you use the part simplification enviornment, you can remove the unwanted detail from the model.

Then when you define the different simulation scenarios, you can simply run them on the simplified model.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Jon

Best Regards
Jon
Technical Manager
Majenta PLM

What if I need multiple simplifications configurations? Doesn't Simplify only store one configuration?

Cheers,
Nevin
"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -- John W. Gardner

It does yes.

If you do want multiple different simplified configurations of the same part, maybe look at using Insert part Copy. Here you would create a new empty part for each different scenario, then insert the original part into it and create a simplified representation in a similar way.

Best Regards
Jon
Technical Manager
Majenta PLM

We're trying to look at different loading conditions for a part, and making changes to the design, and resimulating the loads. 

That seems like such a convoluted way to model and run simulations... My faith in Solid Edge being my CAD tool of choice is quickly fading...

Is that the only way you think Solid Edge is capable of this?

Thanks, 

Nevin

It was just an idea....

The way I normally handle these situations is to setup an solve a study to produce some results

Change the part and then re-solve to get the new results

Then repeat the process

You can even copy / paste the studies in order to keep the previous results to compare.

Solid Edge also has optimisation capabiliies that allow you to iterate the design automatically to achieve a desired target.

Best Regards
Jon
Technical Manager
Majenta PLM

@Jon-Sutcliffe, I mean no personal discredit, but I am dissappointed in Solid Edge...

The issue is that although I can easily solve, make and change, re-solve, etc., I need to run 3 simulations on the same part, after updates, all with various fillets turned off or on to help with solve time. 

Right now, our model is about 655k elements. I expect it to go up to 1M elements. The small fillets are killing us on the element numbers and solve time. 

Maybe I am just asking SE to do more than what it was designed for?

Thanks, 

Nevin

No problem.

Simplified part model will help all the way when it comes to this.

The simplified body will update automatically to the changes in the design each time you make them.

That way you make sure the analysis is run on in the most efficient manner possible each time and speed the process up.

Best Regards
Jon
Technical Manager
Majenta PLM

[ Edited ]

The one thing I liked about NX back when I used it and FEMAP, was the ability to "promote" the solid body to the FE Model.  Then, you could adjust the geometry all you wanted without having to worry about affecting the as-designed model.

But we don't have that functionality in Solid Edge.  I think we should, but that's another topic.

A couple points of clarification.

1) I assume you are using Solid Edge Premium with built in Simulation.  Or are you using Simulation Express?

2) I assume you modeled the parts in Ordered, not Synchronous.

I tried this with Simulation Express. 

1. Create a Family of Parts.
  2. Add the suppression variable for the features you want to suppress for each family member as you deem necessary.
  3. DO NOT POPULATE EACH FAMILY MEMBER.
  4. Setup and Run the simulation on one member.
  5. Save the results externally.
  6. Select another family member and APPLY to make it active.
  7. Rerun the simulation. 

Assuming the items you suppress don't adversly affect the method in which you applied the loads and boundary conditions, the simulation will run again without having to recreate the entire FEM.

BE AWARE: You can still use this model in assemblies and drawings, but the assembly and drawing will use the family member that was active the last time the file was saved.  Always save the file with the as-designed member active.