Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need clarification on .mtl files

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Could someone please clarify the purposes of the 3 .mtl files shown in the image.

I know the material.mtl contains the materials for parts.

If I use style organize for say, drawing views, materials.mtl and library 1.mtl have nothing while material.mtl has one (ansi inch).

I'm just not clear on why there are three .mtl files, what drives their changes and why three are needed. Particularly materials.mtl and library 1.mtl. Not even sure where the library 1.mtl. came from although it appears more up to date than materials.mtl.

Maybe someone can give a primer or direct me to some documentation.

mtl files.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
30 REPLIES

Re: Need clarification on .mtl files

@bshand,  I believe you can create new libraries from the Material Library command... perhaps one of your users has created a new library?  I'm pretty sure that's how "Library 1" got there as that is the default naming convention.

CORRECTION:  Meant "Material Table command" not "Material Library command"...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Given what I know about our users I doubt that anyone created library 1. But I can't be sure.

What do you mean by "material library command".

And any idea why there is a materials.mtl and a material.mtl? It seems like you could get away with just one or the other. Unless there is something in the code that sometimes looks for one or the other.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I created Library 1 on our system. It was probably created by someone there. You not only save things like materials in them, but also dimension styles and face styles and actually I believe anything that can be accessed via the Style Organizer.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, yeah, I know. So why the need for multiple .mtl files? And how did you create the library 1 file?

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
right-click and pick New Library, it defaults to name it Library 1

@bshand  Open a part file and then you can either doble click on the Material node in PathFinder or can access the material library by clciking the SE App button, Info, Material Table.

In the Material Table form, the first button in the upper left creates a new library...

2017-09-28_9-36-17.png

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm struggling with this as well. I can't speak to ST10, but in ST6 (I know, I know), when you go to the Organizer to select or save a style library, you have more options than than a .mtl file. That's just the default extension, and still to this day when reading the .mtl converted to .xml, I can't see any reference to any type of saved styles. Well, face and fill styles for each material.

Has anyone tried saving styles in this manner into a seperate .dft file, or even their custom templates?

e - eh, come to think of it, this may be too off topic. didn't mean to derail.

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000

Phenom
Phenom

@bshandwell, one use I've found for it is that I can have a set of materials with a different K-factor, so like when I'm making a rolled part instead of a bent one, if I pick the material from the rolled material table it has a .5 neutral factor instead of a .33 which is needed when it's a simple bend.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@Papasaurus  Not at all. I find this very confusing as well. OK, creating a new .mtl is obvious in retrospect. Thanks. I still don't know how library 1.mtl was created or by whom but no matter.

But I don't get why material.mtl has material definitions mixed up with dimension, line, view, text, table styles.

Newly created materials will be read from the material.mtl table but these other styles will only be seen if you add them to your template or add them via style organizer.

It seems like it would make more sense to either have everything in one file - it could be material.mtl (why is there also a materials.mtl?) but it's confusing to have some things defined by the .mtl file and some things defined in the template.

For example my .dft template has many view styles defined whereas material.mtl has only one. I could add all my view styles from the .dft template to material.mtl but what would be the purpose?

It would make more sense to me if there was a file for material definitions only perhaps along with fill and face styles and a different file, or perhaps just the .dft template, for all the other styles.

Bruce Shand