Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need clarification on .mtl files

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@nominus38 wrote:

@bshandwell, one use I've found for it is that I can have a set of materials with a different K-factor, so like when I'm making a rolled part instead of a bent one, if I pick the material from the rolled material table it has a .5 neutral factor instead of a .33 which is needed when it's a simple bend.

I get that but SE comes with both the material.mtl and materials.mtl files. I wonder why.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand

think different MTL files as option to use different materials, material names, settings and parameters for e.g. different customers and so on.

You - and this is what I do a couple of times - also can save different ggae values to every MTL file, since a gage is stored in the MTL file only but not in the subfolder.

So imagine You have a material file for alu, for steel and for niro.

Thickness, bend radius etc. may be the same but neutral factor differs.

And as said already, You not only can save materials, but also colors, styles, hatches, view style etc. into the MTL and from there You can use it again and again.

See more files as possibility to bring more ordering into Your settings.

And be aware of a MTL is nothing else than a simple part.

Rename xxxx.mtl to xxx.par and open it with Solid Edge

regards
Wolfgang

@bshand,  I have a clean install of ST10 and it delivered the following 3 MTL files...

Materials.mtl

Materials-DIN.mtl

Materials-GOST.mtl

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

@KennyG wrote:

@bshand,  I have a clean install of ST10 and it delivered the following 3 MTL files...

Materials.mtl

Materials-DIN.mtl

Materials-GOST.mtl

Yeah, I have those also. You don't have a material.mtl? That is the one that changes when I add a material.

Bruce Shand

@hawcad wrote:

Hi @bshand

think different MTL files as option to use different materials, material names, settings and parameters for e.g. different customers and so on.

You - and this is what I do a couple of times - also can save different ggae values to every MTL file, since a gage is stored in the MTL file only but not in the subfolder.

So imagine You have a material file for alu, for steel and for niro.

Thickness, bend radius etc. may be the same but neutral factor differs.

And as said already, You not only can save materials, but also colors, styles, hatches, view style etc. into the MTL and from there You can use it again and again.

See more files as possibility to bring more ordering into Your settings.

And be aware of a MTL is nothing else than a simple part.

Rename xxxx.mtl to xxx.par and open it with Solid Edge

As I said before I get why you might want different material settings in different files.

That's interesting about the .par/.mtl equivalence. That actually explains a lot.

However, it's confusing in that while the material.mtl, or materials.mtl (still don't understand why there's two) contain material definitions but they also contain styles related to model mode: 3D View Styles, Dimension, Face Styles, Line, Fill, Hatch. (Not sure exactly how the last two relate to models but they're in there).

Those styles can only be made apparent in new files via .par, .psm, and .asm templates.

But the .mtl file can also be made to contain draft mode only styles: Drawing View, Table, Text.

But these three styles can only be automatically made apparent via the draft template.

Material definitions are made apparent only by the .mtl file. All the styles carried along are just fluff. Or perhaps useful when using the style organizer. But I'd rather refer to the templates for that.

One might logically assume that all these styles, since the .mtl file can contain them, can be automatically communicated via the .mtl file but they'd be wrong. Only material definitions can be.

My point is this all seems muddled and confusing to me if I'm understanding this properly.

Materials should be about materials and styles should be about styles.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I could totally be making this up, but somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain I seem to recall that in earlier versions of solid edge the .mtl file was named "material.mtl". Then at some point they changed how SE worked with the material files (I do not recall what version) and the file became "materials.mtl". I want to say this is within the last 4-5 versions maybe.

I seem to recall this happening, but I can't swear what revision it occurred. Did you by chance bring your material file over from a previous version or perhaps map it? 

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

@KennyG  and anyone else:

Do you know where is defined the specific file that the system looks at for the material table?

This is from file locations in settings:

FileLocMatlTable.JPG

Bruce Shand

@rehenryjr,  Same here. Perhaps it's my fault we have two since I (probably) just kept the old one.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I am running clean installs of ST9 & ST10 on my home laptop since I am doing contract work these days using a monthly subscription of SE. My installs here have only "materials.mtl" files. 

However, I recall when still working at Cat that our server location where I mapped everyone's install to for materials and templates had the "material.mtl". I want to say that I copied all of the custom materials we added from the material.mtl to the materials.mtl file and then mapped everyone to materials.mtl.

But it has been a while and I honestly can not trust my memory on it.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

@rehenryjr  How did you map them to a specific file? I don't recall where this is defined.

Bruce Shand