Ken noted it above.

Solid Edge options - File Locations

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Re: Need clarification on .mtl files

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@rehenryjr IIRC it was with ST7 when we introduced the new materials functionality is when we switched from material.mtl to materials.mtl

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr wrote:

Ken noted it above.

Solid Edge options - File Locations

That was me actually. And it only refers to a folder, not a file.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@bshand  You don't map to a specific file or library, you map to a folder containing the libraries.

Now when you invoke the Material Table in SE, a specific library and subfolder/material opens by default, and I believe it just remembers what material you last applied (global setting) and navigates to that library and subfolder if a new file with material unassigned, or navigates to the actual material assigned if already assigned in the file.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

@KennyG wrote:

@bshand  You don't map to a specific file or library, you map to a folder containing the libraries.

Now when you invoke the Material Table in SE, a specific library and subfolder/material opens by default, and I believe it just remembers what material you last applied (global setting) and navigates to that library and subfolder if a new file with material unassigned, or navigates to the actual material assigned if already assigned in the file.

OK. Makes sense now looking at the material table. Like some materials I can be rather dense. So, in the interest of consistency I could just copy our custom materials to the more up-to-date materials.mtl and delete material.mtl.

Bruce Shand

@bshand  You could do that.  You may get a message that the assigned material doesn't exist in a library if you go to edit the material on an existing part if the material name does not exactly match between the two libraries.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Are Styles still linked with the .mtl files? Should they be a seperate library/.mtl file? I'm trying to get a heads up in case we make a decision to upgrade to ST9 or ST10. It's starting to look like we might have to start over with templates and styles.

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000

I don't see any linkage of styles in the .mtl files with styles in the templates. That's the confusion that spurred me to start this thread.

It seems that the fact that .mtl files have styles is just a happenstance of their being equivalent to .par/.psm files.

So, unless someone disagrees, I'm maintaining that template files contain styles and .mtl files contain material definitions and the styles in .mtl files can essentially be ignored.

In any case I don't know of any changes between ST9 and 10 in this regard. We haven't moved to ST10 yet because we're rather busy but we did have a beta version of ST10 and didn't notice any problems with this.

<edit> Over the last 3 years we have migrated from ST7 (or was it ST6?) to ST9 without any disturbing changes to .mtl files or our templates.

Bruce Shand

@KennyG wrote:

@bshand  You could do that.  You may get a message that the assigned material doesn't exist in a library if you go to edit the material on an existing part if the material name does not exactly match between the two libraries.

I suppose I could just delete the materials.mtl file and rename the material.mtl file. I sort of wonder if there were any useful updates or enhancements in the "newer" file.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

I'm not really sure.