Need enhancement of Occurrence Properties and Property Manager

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I submitted an IR, now and ER, 8800727 as explained below. If anyone agrees and would like to pile on...

Need enhancement of Occurrence Properties and Property Manager

We create large assemblies in which we sometimes include other assemblies for reference. We turn off several items in occurrence properties like "higher level", "reports", "mass properties", etc. However when in an assembly containing reference assemblies when you open Property Manager for the actual open assembly it has to go through and show all files in all assemblies. That can take a very long time, and it''s wasted time. I would like another option in Occ Props to make it so Property Manager won''t report the reference assemblies.
Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
11 REPLIES

Re: Need enhancement of Occurrence Properties and Property Manager

Legend
Legend
Does your occurrence property dialog open with the subassemblies expanded? When I open occurrence property I only see a few rows because the subassemblies are not expanded, when I click the '+' it takes a bit for it to update. Or am I missing the point?

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm referring to the Property Manager dialog not the Occurence Property dialog. I mention Occurrence Properties because I think (subject to other possibilities which may be proposed) that is the logical place to set a switch that says don't reflect this part or assembly in Property Manager. Just like it has switches for turning off in higher levels, etc.

There may be other or better ways to accomplish this. I'm just pointing out the problem.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
Oh, I see now. I don't use the Property Manager much, like you say, too slow.

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for this Bruce - I will get onto our VAR to add us to the list of supporters.

On a similar note, if you use Assembly-based item numbers, Occurrence properties is where you define the item number for each part.

I recently reported a problem when assigning the item number to multiple instances of an Alternate Position Assembly - this being that you are forced to give each instance a different number.

This is clearly not correct, and to compound the problem you get 1 line in the BOM (which is correct), but when ballooning each one gets the assigned item number.

For anyone interested it was IR 7864870: Alternate Position Item Numbering.

This was on ST7, but I believe the problem also exists in ST9.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

bnemec wrote:
Oh, I see now. I don't use the Property Manager much, like you say, too slow.

That's at least a little ironic Smiley Happy Anyway, I find it such a powerful tool sometimes that I think it is the best for changing many properties on many files at once. If you have a better way please share it.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand

Yes, it's ideal for changing properties on many files at once. I think many people don't know you can open Property Manager on a batch of files without opening any models.

In a previous job, each machine was a complete new set of models and drawings - even anything that remained the same from one to another, as they had to be customer specific.

Part number was always the same, but model name and drawing name/number was built up from various properties such as customer code, machine code, machine area etc.

First we would use Rev Man to copy the project, then Property Manager to change all the data within the models and drawings. Over 1000 individual models and about 800 drawings - all with the correct links.

Find/Replace is your friend !!

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Legend
Legend

May I ask what properties would you be changing? Perhaps we model things differently. Majority of our projects will only have a handful (5 to 15) of new parts, the rest are in production and kind of set in stone. I'm trying to think of when I would want to set a property in a list of files. I guess I use Rev Man for that when I do create new revisions for the files I know will need to change.

edit: oop, beachcomber replied before I posted, he nailed it.  We have similar top levels that all use the same parts.  Some of our part files may go to a couple hundred assemblies.

Phenom
Phenom

@bnemec

You are correct regarding it being slow in very large assemblies - but still quicker than opening the properties for each file.

And don't forget you can also open Property Manager from a draft file.

Bruce's enhancement would be a tremendous help for us.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Legend
Legend
You could take a look at the data prep utility, this also a very very powerfull tool for changing properties... you can add properties in the standard excel file and if you run the tool you can change them in the excel file... and than fire them back into the parts, assys, psm's...
Very powerfull...

Kind regards,

Jan Bos
Emmen, The Netherlands
User since Solid Edge V3.5 testing ST10