Re: Need help extracting part from assembly.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Fantastic, Matt. Thanks for the "for dummies" version.

Edit: Uh, wait. How do you "switch to part". I don't seem to have that capability.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Switch to Part will only be availible while in a sheet metal part

and

switch to Sheetmetal will only be availible while in part mode.

You wont find either while in assembly.

i hope this helps...

If you re watch the video you should see me use the commands...

BE advised...  When i create my part (sheet metal file) in place i have the option to create AND edit turned on.

If you only create a file in place but do not edit into the file you will be returned to the assy environment

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I only see “part to sheet metal”. Even when I’m in a .psm.

Edit: Nevermind. I was looking at the tools tab and not the application button.

It seems weird that they have part to sheet metal when you're in sheet metal but that's beside the point.

Edit: And nevermind my nevermind. I'm getting crossed up between sync and ordered.

I think I got it now. You might have guessed I'm not a frequent sheet metal user.

Bruce Shand

"switch to"...  part or sheetmetal really just changes your ribbon bar to expose teh tools of that specfic environment...

i beleive the intensional switching between environments is to force the user to think about the ramafications of the featureas being created.

If you have a sheetmenteal file you may need to create part like features but need to know you may not be able to flatten them...

OR from part you may want to create afeature that would take many features using part feature creation but you might be able to accomlish it easily with a sheetmetal countour flange or some other feature(s)..

so i think these "switch to" methods afford us the ability to change tool boxes but also are intrusive enought to the work flow that they offer some amount of intensionality to use...

just my 2 cents of thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well, their availability and your demonstration are great. I didn't know about that capability from the application button. I was stuck on looking in the ribbon. And the ribbon in ordered does offer different options.

Bruce Shand