Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with this transition

Phenom
Phenom

I've got a square to round transition that I can't get to work right and have the flat come out acceptable. Before anything I must point out that in order for edge to give us bend info using triangulation you must have a straight section at the end of your arcs or it gives no bend info. Take a look at the attached part. Modifying things within sketch 4, sketch 5 and sketch 7 all results in different things. Sometimes it won't flatten at all. Sometimes it will flatten but the bend lines are weird or some disappear. And in it's current state the flat is all kinds of wonky. I'm at a loss today as to what to do to get this part to have the correct geometry and give me a legitimate flat. The parts needed geometry is defined in sketches 1-3, so leave those alone. But modify what you need to in sketch 4 5 & 7, though the places where it's included geometry need to stay included. Anything that has dims attached though do what you need and if someone can come up with a workable flat for me I'll scream my love for you from the rooftops.

I'm on ST9 maintenence pack 12.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
5 REPLIES

Re: Need help with this transition

Phenom
Phenom

I really just don't get it. If I take the radius in the corners down, I get a grey arrow next to the lofted flange that says it cannot be flattened, but it indeed ends up flattening. When I have a errored flat pattern, but unbend and rebends are fine, but when I adjust things so that the flat pattern is fine, it errors my rebend. If it can unbend/rebend why does it then say it cannot flatten? If it can generate a flat pattern, then should not my unbend and rebend be fine? It's all crazy and I think this might make me design some sort of contraption to throw my computer and solid edge across the shop because I'm sick of working on this and it is due tomorrow. Hell.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Genius
Genius

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @nominus38,

I did it using a different method - subtract by plane.

I have removed 3 last steps from your original file.

please look at attached file.

Edit:

attached the video.

(view in My Videos)

regards,

Arek

Phenom
Phenom

@rbhaskinI know how to do a transition. It's this particular transition that is giving bad results.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

@arekkulThank you for your video. I didn't end up doing it this way, but you did make me realize that I didn't need to use an unbend for this part. I was modifying and reusing a previously modeled part, and didn't even think about what that unbend was there for in the first place. But thanks. Sometimes a different set of eyes is all that is needed.

But in any even I logged this with GTAC as even though I didn't need the unbend/rebend, it still shouldn't be giving such different results just by changing the distance from the bend where i do a cutout.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"