Solved! Go to solution

New bee

Hi guys, am fairly new to solid edge, so am looking for help.
Am trying create a text cut out on a sheet metal but am unable to do it.
I am using st6 . Please guid me thanks

Sam
10 REPLIES

Re: New bee

In a sketch, you are looking for a command called Text Profile (use Command Finder in lower right corner).  Then any command that protrudes or cuts can use it.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

many thanks for a quick reply.

see problem i am having is, i create a flange in sync mode, add thickness to it.

Then I add text through insert text. After that I want to create a cut out of that text in the flange.

It won't let me extort or cut out that text. everytime i select the text, text edit box popsup :/

I am also interested in knowing how to do this in Sync....never tried it but now I can't find out how to do it with a few minutes of tinkering! What gives?

-Dylan Gondyke

In Ordered you can either select the Cutout command which will default to asking you to select a face for your sketch after which you can place the Text Profile and then follow the prompts through.  If you have the Text Profile sketch created first, when you select the Cutout command, you can switch the Plane options to "Select from Sketch" and then select the Text Profile sketch.

In Synch, I believe you have to perform the cutout as an ordered feature because if you dump the sketch after a cutout is placed, you can no longer manipulate it as text...

Ken Grundey

Only way u can think of it at the moment, is creat text on a flange, then out line it to creat a cutout. its a painful job.

as i am new to solid edge, can someone tell me what is the difference between ordered mode and sync mode ?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam1885
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

They are two different methods of modeling. To switch between the two, go to the Tools tab, and choose Ordered instead of Synchronous mode. Be aware that you should switch to ordered and do your text cutout at the VERY END of making the model, in order to make it easier on you. Also be aware that right-clicking on the cutout and selecting "Move to Synchronous" does not work for cutouts or normal cutouts that are done off of text profiles.

-Dylan Gondyke
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam1885
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Synchronous is non-history, meaning that a cutout does not have any associative tie to the sketch that created it, the plane the sketch was based on, and the face the plane was based on.  Now Synch mode does have some features that do work like an ordered feature but not all of them do, and these are sometimes referred to as Directed Features.  An example of one would be a Pattern or a Hole.

Ordered is history, meaning those associative references do exist.  In this situation, you return to one of the associative foundation elements to make modifications, and their order controls outcome.

In SE, think of the Synchonous model node as your first feature of the Ordered environment if using a mixed approach.

Ken Grundey

Welcome! I'm a bit of a new bee myself. Keep asking questions and experimenting.

Grundey wrote:

Synchronous is non-history, meaning that a cutout does not have any associative tie to the sketch that created it, the plane the sketch was based on, and the face the plane was based on.  Now Synch mode does have some features that do work like an ordered feature but not all of them do, and these are sometimes referred to as Directed Features.  An example of one would be a Pattern or a Hole.

Ordered is history, meaning those associative references do exist.  In this situation, you return to one of the associative foundation elements to make modifications, and their order controls outcome.

In SE, think of the Synchonous model node as your first feature of the Ordered environment if using a mixed approach.

Thanks a Million Sir!

it worked like piece of cake, thanks again.

i will be out again soon for more questions, YOU GUYS ROCK !!!!!!! and so does Solid edge