Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New parts physical properties mass is 0

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Wolfgang,

I haven't been able to reproduce on Win10 v1703 or v1709.  Do you have any more particulars on this fellow's configuration (language, exact Win10 build #, Office version, etc.)?

Any way to get a screenshot of the Properties dialog after the material change+update?

Do you know if he had Solid Edge installed before receiving v1703?  A reinstall of Solid Edge might fix it.

What if he just does 'update' without a material set?  He should still get area and volume values.  Is this with sync or ordered parts?

Justin

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @JustinH

I will try to get the exact win10 vesion number for YOu.

The only I can say so far is, that Solid Edge was instaledd prior to the Win10 update.

I can say it is ST9 with MP11 (will let download them MP12)

I have, together with my user, deleted (renamed)  all Current User registry entries, the Solid Edge themes folder (%appdata%) and tried several standard templates (DIN,ISO,etc.)

Regardless of which template we used, regardless which material we have selected (from standard MTLs), and regardless what geometry I have created (in part and psm), all physical properties (mass, volume, area) stay 0.

Automatic Update is ON, manual Update, etc. doesn't change anything.

There is one additional hint I can give.

Using an old existing part file, and changing that will also update the physical props.

At the moment we have copied old files (with deleted geometry) into a new template directory, and use them, what will work.

But using one of the default templates will not work.

So for me it looks like as SE is not able to get the new created geometry, even if it is there.

Taking such a part to my computer (ST10) immediateley will calculate all physical props correctly.

So the part/template file also seems not be the only reason

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Wolfgang,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding everything, but it sounds like you are saying the template is the problem.  Is that correct?  If that is the case, can you send the errant template file?

Justin

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Important Change.

My ST10 set of the templates was made from ST9 set of templates by copying it the the new directory, saving it to ST10, modifying all necessary areas to the new functionality needs etc.

As described in my original post in this discussion, I had ST10 crushing doing Physical Properties Change in new part with or without geometry and if I was not changing Physical Properties mass was shoving Zero even ufter update.

This morning I did the following:

- Thinking about the bad templates, I took last ST9 part template (they were all good in ST9) , resave it to ST10 and its use was still giving me the same problems, crush and Zero mass.

- Next I took ST8 part template, resave it to ST10 and the crush on Physical Properties Change and Zero mass problems are gone.

So here we go, that is my solution.

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2018

HI @milanw

Yes this sounds similar, but opening the files with ST10 will solve it also.

So the template files seems not to be the only reason.

There is more than this.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

We had this problem with Solid Edge ST10 MP2 on Windows 10 Pro (version 1709, build 16299.19). It occurred with all newly created parts, both based on our own templates and on the default ST10 templates. Installing MP3 fixed the problem for us.

Hi @vongahlen

thnaks for verifying the issue and due to the fact I already use MP3 with ST10 might be the reason to not be able reproducing the problem.

So I hope that either the MP12 of ST9 and/or MP3 for ST10 will solve the issue.

regards
Wolfgang