Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New press brake, need bend callout to be opposite

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

At the moment they are just manually doing all that at the machine. Eventually we will probably use Radbend. But first they need to figure out how to use better. They haven't had any formal training on this one, so it's still getting some things ironed out. I am totally pissed that we got a brand new press brake, but we only have one radius. Blows my mind.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Not sure of the cost, but there are CNC apps that can create the setups needed for press brakes directly from the CAD data.  

Metamation is one that Budde Sheet Metal worked with (former SE user but now NX I believe).  Metamation offers a lot more options as well like nesting and punch/burn programming.

http://metamation.com/product/offline-press-brake-programming-software/

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom

Yes RadBend will do that. Sort of. It seems to always be one version behind in being able to read my Edge Models. ALso, what drives me mad, is that it doesn't use my flat pattern. I don't like that we can end up with different flat sizes.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom

We used to have MetaMation, but we dropped it for Radan.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

One punch radius is fine, if you have different die widths. I worked with a large manufacturer in Philidelphia years ago, and they used one punch radius, and used their dies to determine final radius of parts. They formed 20ga to 5/16 material with the same punch. Probably takes some creative work to have SE work with this, but not out of the real of possible.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I looked at the Autopol page.

Does that software make drawing for how to bend sheet metal? What is the cost? is that a $1,000 or $10,000 piece of software?

Legend
Legend

I helped set it up about 5-7 years ago, it's closer to the higher $$$.

You can do setup sheets, showing tooling, tooling location, and bending sequence. There's always different formats for setup sheets, to accomodate your specific needs. It's important to make sure they have post-processor for your specific press brake. We had an older one that they couldn't work with.

It's intended to be used by someone that has experience running a press brake. It's not something you hire a temp to come in and make programs for the shop, in my opinon. But, it's the same for programming any CNC machinery, you don't expect someone without experience running the machine to understand how things do/can/should work!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have never operated a press break. However I am required to calculate the back gage and stick out for every bend of every part I draw up. To that end I have tried and asked everything I can to make that process fast in SE. It is not.

As a result, I have to spend tons of hours linking variable and dimensioning flat pattern views to create the desire information. 

When I picked what software to use for sheet metal, SE won out over SW and inventor because they had a built in bend table. At the time I only had one week to make the decisions, I thought for sure there would be a way to the the back gage into the existing bend table built into SE. How wrong I was.

Gears Phenom

Maybe I'm not readign all this correctly but you're trying to get bend angle from a lofted flange using the triangulation method? Myself as well..  Seems as if we can 50% of the capabilities of what this feature can do for us.

It can create multiple bend lines to laser etch but no way for it to call out those individual bend angles?

Or am i missing a callout somewhere?

-Craig

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Craig_H,

It does work......albeit, there seems to be an issue with the bend info on bend table vs. callout text.

2017-12-06 (3).png

2017-12-06 (4).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP7] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000