New to solid edge (using the trial) and cant understand the logic of basic features

Hi,

I ausing the trial version of ST9, trying to see which CAD package to get, and I cant seem to understand the logic of building an extrude feature.

I am used to choosing a sketch and then extruding it, it is the done the opposite way in Solid edge (thats OK, but why not let me choose how I want to do it like most other CAD programs, either choose sketch and then extrude or choose extrude and the choose the sketch?), after choosing the sketch I need to press enter to confirm (why? its just adding more clicks to a simple operation), and then I cant just input a number to get the extrude, I need to pick a number, then click the screen to choose side for extrude, and sometimes it pops and changes the number I just entered, and then another clock for finish... I am used to do it with 2 clicks and a number, in SE it takes 4 clicks and a number and moving the mouse on the screen to determine extrusion direction. I dont even talk about modifying an extrusion length, that was beyond me, I enter a number and nothing happens, than I click the screen and the number changes... I am sure it shouldnt be so clunky, what am I doing wrong? I am an experienced user with alot of CAD packages and this one seems too awckward for me. Please help me understand what am I doing wrong.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES

Re: New to solid edge (using the trial) and cant understand the logic of basic features

You are (standard) working in the synchronous environment.

If you want to work like you ask, choose for Ordered:

LuGucQx

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Re: New to solid edge (using the trial) and cant understand the logic of basic features

I am working with ordered modeling:

image.png

All the things taht I described are happening when "ordered" is turned on like the above image states

@assafwei,   WELCOME!

In SE you will find that commands can be "Object-Action" or "Action-Object" IE: Extrude is the Action, the Sketch is the object.  Some commands only work 1 way where some can work either.   In this case Extrude can be either.  IF you draw a sketch as the Object...  you can then run the Action of Extrude.  On the Extrude Command bar on the RH side you are given a drop down to pick the input step...  at this pint you wnat to pick "FROM SKETCH".   the other method would be Action - object  meaning you run the Extrude command as the action and then draw the skect as the object within the command.   This also effects the nature of the sketch.  if you draw a sketch it will be global in nature,  it can be used and reused by many features.  if you run the extrude command and draw your sketch w/in the extrude command then the sketch is local only to that feature and will not be exposed in the freaute tree nor can it be reused.

Regarding "accept" clicks...  in most cases a RMB will "accept" the command or replace the green check box.

Also:  SE tutorial are very good.  Many of us learned 1st from these tutorials.  I highly suggest you take a look at these: 

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help#uid:index_xid618399:xid486886

Welcome to the community  feel free to post any question you have,  you will find many experainced users here willing to help.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply,

What about extrude depth? is it possible to just input a number and press enter? not needing to use the mouse for direction on the screen itself, which can then change the extusion depth?

Also - what about modifying extrusion depth? cant I just modify the depth dimension and press enter? from what I tried I need to change the depth, then click the csreen (left button) and then click finish again, too much mouse clicks for me...

Thanks

AFAIK you will need to pick a vector for the direction step if you are extruding in a single vector.

If you extrude symetric then you do not....

but as a general rule - yes, yo will need to click to accept the vector direction

the value inpoutted should not change however.   

be advised that [TAB] accepts a value but leave the command active... and [ENTER] accepts the value and completes the command.  so you may need to [tab] after entering the value to freeze the input.

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Thanks,

Isnt this a little cumbersome? especailly if editing an extrude, the vector is already known, so why not just enter a number and be done with it? I guess it is a matter of getting used to it, but since we are talking normal vectors to planes - there are only 2 directions, so I feel more comfertable just using + or - signs in the dim input to choose directions - I fell like I need to do alot of clicking in order to do a very simple operation

valid point.   i agree that after 16+ years i have just accpted it and it does not bother me...

but i too would love to have +/- value control the vector ...

this would be a great ER.

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

It is what it is...

I guess siemens developers had a solid concept for this workflow, maybe I just dont get it Smiley Happy

Thanks for the quick and very helpfull input from you all guys.

It's the Solid Edge workflow that makes me prefer it over Solidworks (I've used both extensively).

My brain is just wired for the Action-Object approach to modeling.  You'll find, if you give yourself a chance, that it ends up being a great way to model because once the system knows what you intend to do (create an extrusion, for example), then it can filter selections and only provide the necessary inputs to complete the action.  It's also easier to prompt the user for the next step in the process if the system knows what the end result is.

The issue I had with Solidworks was that I had to sketch first.  Once I was finished sketching, I started the extrude command, only to find out I was missing geometry or elements necessary to complete the extrude.  I had to cancel the command, go back and create the missing elements, then start the extrude command again.  To me, that was cumbersome.

It's all a matter of perspective.  Now that I know a dozen different CAD systems, the differences between each are quite minor and easy to overcome.  But that first switch, for me, was painful.