New user seeks advice

Hi all,

I'm new to SE and have been using Inventor for several years. Basically I'm not sure which license to buy, the foundation or classic. I don't need Keyshot so the foundation seems to be good for me. 

Does the classic license contain more structural section profiles than the foundation. I use the structural frame generator a lot and require all sections available in this country (UK), for example Inventor has BS EN 10305-5, does SE have these in the library.

Looking forward to participating in this community....

Cheers

-------
Miles
17 REPLIES

Re: New user seeks advice

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I would suggest to read this (attached).

or go there : https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/store/en-us/solid-edge/index.html

Production: SE ST9 MP8

Hi,

answering to : Does the classic license contain more structural section profiles than the foundation?

I think no. You should get an access to Standard Part Library which is the same in every license.

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8

Thanks Arek, that's what I assumed but just wanted to check.

Regards

-------
Miles

Hi @MilesAlex

Hi @arekkul

I think I have to disagree to @arekkul

With Foundation You will have the functionallity of Standard Parts but You only will recieve a couple of example parts. You will be able to add Your own parts to the database.

With Classic You also get the full Machinery Library to use where - don't nail me on that - 100.000s of standard parts available from all standards (main standard) worldwide.

I think You will have the needed parts there.

So this is a big difference between Foundation and Classic

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang, I am struggling to find out what is available in standard parts library for Foundation & Classic. Even my reseller is not sure.

Cheers

-------
Miles

If it is just a matter of profiles to use with the Frame environment I would say that add a profile to the examples provided it is simple as drawing it in a sketch.

I would not bother to go to the Classic license if it is just for that purpose.

Hi @MilesAlex

here is a linkt to the Standrad Parts PDF on Siemens site:

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/de_at/products/solid-edge/overview/add_on_apps/standard_parts... Edge Standard Parts%26description=Reducing design costs through standardization%26docType=pdf

Try a search for the parts content in Standard Parts Machinery Library

regards
Wolfgang

Okay thanks guys, if it really is that easy to create new profiles then I think the foundation will do me. I just didnt want to pay an extra £700 for Keyshot etc when I already have other rendering engines.

-------
Miles

Rent foundation for a month and give it a go...