Non-Uniform Scaling Workaround

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wondering if some experienced users could offer advice on non-uniform scaling.  My applications require compensation for dimensional change in the X & Y directions only, while the Z axis remains at 1.

What happens is any radius that is scaled gets deformed and no longer a true radius.  In Solidworks, the scaling is a feature that can be applied in the feature tree before adding radii.  Solid Edge does not give us this option.  I think Creo has a Mold Tool Extension add-on package that allows for scaling of individual features in the tree, where features like radii and chamfers can be omitted.  Again, Solid Edge does not give us this option.

Does anyone know of any work arounds for this?

Thanks.

Matt

7 REPLIES

Re: Non-Uniform Scaling Workaround

why not scale your model with no treatment features...

then do your scaling and then add the treatments after the scaling thus scaling does nto effect your rounds?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Matt,

Sometimes that's not always possible. Doing so leaves the driving part with no treatment features right?

I'm wondering if my best option is to create an unlinked, uniform scaled copy of the part, then go back and correct all the lengths in the Z-axis direction. This is how I've been doing it in Creo. You can make editable copies of parts right?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

There is a tutorial that talks about adjustable parts where the parts are scaled along an axis (not shure if two axis scaling is avialable). Find the tutorial about adjustable parts and an o-ring. I dont remember where it was from (You tube, Ally PLM, Solid Mastermind, or Siemans).

In general, I think this is what adjustable parts are about.

Phenom
Phenom

Matt, you can leave the driving part alone if you have an in-between model. I'm not sure if this is acceptable per your workflow, but... Driving Part > Insert Part Copy, remove radii > Insert Part Copy, apply scaling.

There are other ways to do this, too, that leave an unmolested driving part model.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Dylan  I'll have to give the different options here a try.  Can you tell me if it's possible to insert a scaled copy of a part and have the feature tree carry over to the new model?  I was thinking I could scale the part uniformly and tweak the z axis dimensions back to the intended lengths.  That's kind of what I'm comfortable with.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and suggestions.  I'm just getting my feet wet with this software.  It's really nice and logical so far.

Matt

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Don't suppose you could go synchronous and forget the feature tree?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if this will help or what kind of stuff you are modeling, but I work with re-sizable models every day. I look at it differently than non-uniform scaling or what is called adjustable parts so I didn't think to post this right off the bat.

Here are two vids about how I use planes to control my models.

The first one shows how I start the model with plane adjustments in mind. the second shows how I use the planes to control the finished model and draft. The second one was created to demonstrate what I do for bend tables.

http://youtu.be/iCwvuYT-g5M

http://youtu.be/zjq5SRZL_yg

There are limits to this. FOM cant be used, and sometimes updates require a reload. But this saves me so much time it's not funny. I have re-used the same files for 100's of drawings that are all a different size.

This can be done much more simply with Sync, but that's another can of worms.