Non graphical parts and linking to parts list in draft

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I use non graphical parts on occasion and was wondering if anyone has any tips on making the part selectable so it can be linked to the BOM when ballooning parts in an assembly drawing.  Do you make some type of feature that is then hidden after selection?  Right now, I just brute force it by manually entering a number in the baloon that matches the item in the BOM.  If the BOM item changes, however, my balloon may no longer match.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
10 REPLIES

Re: Non graphical parts and linking to parts list in draft

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

I am faced with this same problem only we use lots of non graphicals on every assembly. I asked everyone about it during SEU2014 and everyone thought there was a way to do it with the property text but no one could do it. I've asked in the forum before and there isn't really a good answer. You can put a small feature in the file but then you have to assemble it everytime you want to call it out, then add it to the display configuration, find it and atatch the ballon, then turn it off again. A real pain. As you said manual balloons are also a pain because they are allways wrong.

I guess it is time for an ER.

Genius
Genius

Have the same issue, but I do go into the Parts List Properties on the Item Number tab a force the Non-graphic Part to the Item number I want it to be and it should stay that way.

Dale Smith

Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc.

Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP2 - Insight

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If they are non-graphical, why do you need a balloon?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

PLM World Member Phenom

1) So the item is not marked in the Parts List as not having been ballooned (if you have that option set).

2) Because sometimes I apply Loctite to screws, and therefore I need to balloon the Loctite next to the point of application; or any similar example.

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Dale

Doesn't that depend on the sorting options? If someone resorts the LOM (on purpose or by accident) won't the item numbers change?

Swertel has it exactly right. Who wants to assemble a loktite part to every screw just to get a baloon?

Builder
Builder
I run into this problem all the time also. Since I seem to end up with a lot of drawing revisions, my "forced' balloons often get mismatched and make a tangled mess. We could definitely use an ER for this.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

And just an FYI in case anyone forgot, you can drive your Item/Find Numbers directly from the assembly and use them in your Parts List in Draft.  Look in the Assy Options to turn them on.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Ken is right, you can drive them from assy.

If we stay at the original issue then we can use coordinate system as a reference to connect balloon to non visible part.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

PLM World Member Phenom

Imic,

Brilliant!  I'll try that the next time.  I didn't quite follow the steps you were doing to change the balloon number and have it change the BOM.  Could you elaborate on that?

Thanks!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1