Solved! Go to solution

Normal Cut Not Working

I'm trying to do a normal cut using a curve as shown belownormal_cut.PNG

When I use the normal cut tool nothing happens and no feature is added after I click finish. What am I doing wrong?

12 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author brett1
‎12-13-2016 10:04 PM

Re: Normal Cut Not Working

[ Edited ]

Hi there @brett1,

The "Normal Cutout" command is designed to function on sheet metal models, projecting the cut 'normal' to the intersecting faces. [+ parameters]

There's a topic that covers a similar issue to this one, with some GOOD videos >here<.

If I was making this part for laser cutting, I'd start with a "nearly" closed [micro gap] profile, using Contour Flange.

2016-12-14 (7).png

2016-12-14 (8).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi,

Sean nice solving. I like Solid Edge because always have two or more solving for 'problem'.

(view in My Videos)

Tibor

[ Edited ]

I'm confused (not that unusual I guess). Why would you want an end to look like that? Rather than a simple cross section?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

bshand wrote:

I'm confused (not that unusual I guess). Why would you want an end to look like that? Rather than a simple cross section?

Haha,.....we do that, not always just a mitre end, but because that is how it will actually come out from the rotary laser cutting process. [to keep the constant thickness for the beam intenisty selected - there are overrides for situations {not often used} that require "square" cutting through pipes, or corners, etc.]

[an older example, of a job "I could recall" - believe me, that's getting harder to do. Robot Embarassed ]

TUTAWAKI-002_100x50x6 RHS_IMG-02.jpg

TUTAWAKI-002_100x50x6 RHS_IMG-03.JPG

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

@SeanCresswell, OK! I didn't know that. I've never dealt with laser cutting processes.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

With sheet metal, I have had a very difficult time using the "Normal cut".

I have moved on to useing the unfold, cut, refold process when I need normal cuts.

What I really want is "Normal to the K plane" cutting. If I had time I would put in the ER.

I have consitered trying K=0.5 and using normal to mid plate, but then by "bending backgage tables" would be all wrong.

What are you referign to as "K" plane?   I draw in sheetmetal 95% of the time everyday, and 99.9% of the time I'm using "normal cut".    I do often unbend, cut and rebend, but it's usually to smooth out the cut edge for the laser. Things are different if you need to keep cuts for punching. 

[ Edited ]

@12GAGE,

On the Normal Cutout ribbon bar, does the "Mid-plane Cut" option of the extent step, not get close enough to what you are wanting?

Although, I can see, if there was ALSO an option to link to the "Neutral Factor" {K} [inside / outside], that would be exactly it, right..??

2016-12-15 (16).png

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Sean.. Ahhh @12GAGE is referring to the that surface. I'm curious to know when that surface is needed???