Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nut & Bolts

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Nut and Bolt library.

I'm using SE-ST9 fundamental. But I have the need to purchase a library of nuts and bolts. Are there any good options on the market for a nut and bolt package that will not increase my yearly software maintenance cost by $1000/year. I know that moving up to classic will get me nuts and bolts, but $1000/year just for that is a bit steep, and I see many threads that talk about problems installing "standard parts" and that the naming is not the best. I do not h ave needs for the other things that come with an upgrade to the classic version.

What makes this difficult is that I need all kinds of crazy bolts like metric bevel head screws, carrage bolts, rivits, etc.....

I started the CAD department at this company about 4 years ago. I am finally getting current with the sheet metal needs and thinking about making assembly drawings that we do not have now. When I started I was very clear that nuts and bolts will not be part of the drawings for a long time. Whell, my long time is over.

19 REPLIES

Re: Nut & Bolts

Legend
Legend

To be totally honest, the standard parts library is complete and utter **bleep** and will give you nothing but problems in just about every aspect from what standards are used or claimed to be used, to geometry of the parts in question, to materials, and to how parts are named...

I have just stuck to making stuff from scratch or using good enough models from sites like mcmastercarr.

Betreff: Nut & Bolts

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

I know it is not the most modern library or the newest interface, but I would like to let You remember the Solid Edge Library tool which You will found under the custom directory of Your SE program folder.

20170902_0823.PNG

You will be able to add as many standard components as You like, of course You have to fill in the date by Yourself, but it could be a start point for using standard elements (not only nuts and bolts) in an easy and lightweight way.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

By the time the library was added to SE I had already created lots of fasteners so I never really saw the advantage of moving to the library. Other than some early testing I have very little experience with it.

My method of creating parts like this has always been to create a master for each component. For example, a "master imperial hex head cap screw" or "master imperial hex nut". Then I create all future variations either from the master or from a previous family member.

In the master I typically name all of the variables so I can easily filter the variable table for user variables and make size changes there rather than edit each feature. It also makes sense to label these variables the same as your favorite fastener reference (ie. Machinery's Handbook or whatever)

So for example I would use the master to create a 3/8-16 x 1 HHCS. Then when I need a 3/8-16 x 1-1/4 HHCS I would "save as" the 1" bolt and create the new part and increase the length. When I need a 1/2-13 x 1 HHCS I would go back to my master model for the first part in the size range, although it would work just as well to create the 1/2" screw from the 3/8" screw.

The reason for working from a common model is that it permits swapping out fasteners in assemblies without losing relationships - even if changing sizes. Since all are built on the same master, all plane definitions and identifiers are the same between models and therefore replacement works very well.

I also name the files exactly what they are for easy identification (3_8-16x2 HHCS GR8 Plain.par) and separate them into folders . The file document number is populated with our actual ERP part number so the correct p/n shows up in BOMs. On a previous job those who came before me used the ERP p/n for the filename which meant you had to search for the p/n of each fastener to find the correct model.

Modeling your own fasteners and creating your own library obviously takes some time, but I always found it to be pretty effective and depending upon your product line, do you really need every fastener in the world?

Finally, I have heard of users having trouble trying to use Family of Parts for fasteners even though it sounds like a good idea. I don't know if those issues are still relevant, but I would do some serious testing before going that direction. I don't recall the issues as it has been a long time.

My $.02 FWIW

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Glad to hear I am not the only one who doesn't like the Parts Library.

Years ago we bought SystemsParts for Stream Design. It blends perfect into SE and works like a charm

Now the bad news...
The discontinued the program.
Maybe, if enough people ask for it, the restart. 

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2019 user

@JorisWow! That looks so much better than the "standard parts library". (which I also dislike)

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi Edgers,

if solutions besides the integrated Solid Edge Standard Parts Library are interest, 
than I know another good and old solution, which is available even now.

the ISL - Integrated Standard Parts Library from CADADAPT.

Should be found under http://www.cadadapt.com

They had there standard part solution available long before the SE came up.

Good point here is, that You can add as many standards (standard parts) by Your own as YOu like.

There is an option to be asked for certain variable values when inserting them (profile with a certain length as new part), and so on.

The only question here would be, wether they offer it also without their PDM solution.

But I can get in contact with them if wanted.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When the Standard Parts Library works it seems to work well, but the "when it works" is the caveat.  Especially in a secure network environment, when everything that IT does seems to kill the server.  It is also a royal PITA to get set up in the first place.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Are there any Nuts and Bolts add-ons to solid edge that are in English and currently available other than what comes with classic?

The best one looks discontinued, the other is in German, no real options yet other than make my own. The time to make my own is what I am trying to save. The cost to classic just for a poor nuts and bolts library does not look worth it.

@12GAGE, It's not a bad source for parts for your potential library. Upgrade for a while, use the library as a source, then downgrade?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200