Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia Titan Xp (specifically) compatible with Solid Edge?

Creator
Creator

The titan Xp is benchmarked to be just as fast, if not faster, than the Quadro P6000 in Siemens NX as it has recently gained workstation drivers. I have seen the gpu compatability spreadsheet put out by Siemens, but I either don't believe it to be updated, or the titan Xp simply has not been tested (specifically on Solid Edge). I know it can be reasonably inferred that the Titan Xp is just as capable on Solid Edge as it is on NX, but I would like to confirm with anyone who could possibly have some information on the topic before purchasing either a P5000 or Titan X.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Nvidia Titan Xp (specifically) compatible with Solid Edge?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Sources?  

Also, just because it has been benchmarked as faster still does not mean it is a professional grade card or is supported.

Looking at the Nvidia website for this card it is still marketed as a gaming card.  The underlying architecture for this card is the Pascal GPU.  That Pascal architecture is all for gaming:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/architecture/

Siemens Phenom

Also, to add further...

When you go to the NVidia website and research their products, they have a section specifically for "Design & Visualisation" – this is CAD, i.e. the "D" in CAD:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/design-visualization/

When you review all of the pages under this, what models do you see being presented by NVidia as suitable for this "Design & Visualisation" field?  Quadro!

There is nothing on the NVidia website marketing the Titan Xp for design and all material for the Titan Xp is related to gaming not design.

With all due respect, this is the third different post you've made trying to push the Titan Xp for Solid Edge.  None of the responses have changed between those posts.  You are more than welcome to purchase and use the Titan Xp but you have been forewarned that this is not marketed as a professional grade card by the manufacturer NVidia.  Solid Edge (and NX) only provides full support for professional grade cards. 

Creator
Creator

Actually, once you go to the link that you sent and hover over products, right there it says Titan Xp. I was going to send this link but looks like you did it for me haha. Here's the link to the video in which benchmarks are listed for the Titan Xp and a couple Quadros within various programs, including Siemens NX. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVqIOITdmM

All models of Titan are included under the Design and Visualisation designation.

I was looking for very specific benchmarks on specifically the Titan Xp, so your slightly vague response doesn't really help. Thank you anyway for responding "Phenom"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@rkalak  I read your post where you claimed there was a Qaudro driver avalable for the Titan Xp.  All I could find on NVIDIA's driver download site was a GeForce Gaming driver for the Titan Xp.  The drivers are what makes workstation graphics "supportable" for either Solid Edge or NX.  GeForce drivers are not supported by NVIDIA for professional workstation apps like Solid Edge and NX, and thus Siemens PLM also cannot support them.

The Quadro drivers on the otherhand are supported by NVIDIA for professional workstation apps, and thus the reason they are also supported by Siemens PLM.  If a Quadro driver is produced for the Titan, then it would be safe to assume it would also be supported by Siemens PLM, but until that time the Quadro graphics would be a more robust solution.

As to benchmarks for running Solid Edge on a Titan Xp, I'm guessing there is no one here that would have gambled that much on an unsupported gaming card with the remote hope that it might work well enough for Solid Edge to be able to provide any info.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Phenom

@rkalak firstly, that YouTube clip is a review by a third party.  If you notice in this review it is also clearly comparing performance with GeForce gaming cards running on CAD systems as well.  A third party review in of itself does not mean that any of these cards benchmarked are either intended for use with CAD or are supported by the CAD software vendors.  That video also reviews against AutoCAD and lo and behold, AutoCAD also does not support the Titan Xp:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware

Also SolidWorks does not currently support the Titan Xp:

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

Hmm, there seems to be a theme developing here that is not just Solid Edge being difficult ...

Secondly, as for the Titan Xp on the NVidia site – follow the links and read the material.  There are several different products listed under Design but each has a specific market or intended application.  Once you get to the Titan Xp page its clearly states for "creatives, researchers, and PC enthusiasts" and "latest gaming technologies".  None of these terms indicate professional design.  Follow the link for the Pascal architecture used in the Titan Xp  and it will clearly state again "latest gaming technologies".  There is a place for the Titan Xp but you seem to be taking the intended audience of for "creatives, researchers, and PC enthusiasts " as meaning CAD jockeys.  It does not!  Follow the Quadro links and read and you will clearly see the intended audience for the Quadro range is the "technical professionals" and "digital designers" i.e. CAD jockeys.  Try to actually read and comprehend what the manufacturer is providing to you in their material such as this following NVidia supplied primer on selecting graphics cards for CAD which strangely seems to mention Quadro yet has no reference to Titan Xp:

https://www.nvidia.com/object/best-cad-components.html

Again, you are working very hard to try to prove that the Titan Xp is considered a professional grade CAD card yet you still have not provided any material from NVidia stating that it is marketed as or intended for use as a professional grade CAD card.  Yet I continue to point out to you that the Titan Xp card is not a professional  grade CAD card nor is the Titan Xp card currently supported.

Finally, as for your closing comment, yes, I am marked as a Phenom. Contrary to what your comment is attempting to convey there is a reason why.  Perhaps it is because I can actually read the manufacturer's provided material instead of taking third party YouTube fanboi videos as gospel.

So again, this has been discussed in length but go buy your Titan Xp and I am sure it will work wonderfully for you.  However, once again you will not receive full support for this model because at this time as the Titan Xp is still not considered a professional grade CAD card by NVidia nor is the Titan Xp currently supported by any of the major CAD vendors.  Is this still slightly vague response helping you further? 

Creator
Creator

Hey @uk_dave, thanks for the reply.

I understand the level of support I will receive given my use of consumer level GPUs, and I also understand that there is a likelihood of performance benefit either way. 

I asked this question, however, on an assumption that someone might have tested this, or had possibly gone through such a process of making a decision. For that reason, I was looking for specific performance downfalls or benefits to the Titan over a Quadro. I knew the chances for someone having done this were slim.

@KennyG Thanks to you too, the slim chance of the contrary to your last point was my reason for asking this question

Since I should have the funds and GPU prices won't really go down more than they already have, I'll try and test this myself, and let you know of the results, simply as a form of knowledgable gain. 

Creator
Creator