OPENING PRO/E DRAWING USING SOLID EDGE

I have read several blogs and articles that Solid Edge can not open or view any 2D drawing done in Pro/E or Creo?

We have several drawings and 3D done in Pro/E.  We are now fully migrating to Solid Edge and is now quite hesitant to uninstall ProE due to old/legacy projects that was created using the latter software.

Has anyone successfully opened a *.drw file?  Hope you can share.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES

Re: OPENING PRO/E DRAWING USING SOLID EDGE

[ Edited ]

You can't open drafts, only models. I think Solidworks draft capability is coming soon. You'll need to use dwg or dxf as the bridge.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Thanks Bruce.  Hence what I had feared  will not happen soon.

I was trying to install the data migration package but after reading several blogs and articles, it seems that this may take sometime before it can become a reality.

I had converted the drawing file into a dwg format but once opened using Solid Edge, file was too big and Solid Edge too slow.  The fact that the drawings are mere lines.

I am now figuring out what I can do make the file size small or at least make the drafting part quick.

Any recommendation will definitely help!

Thanks!

This might sound a bit silly but a dxf is only a text file and can be manipulated as such..

If you open it in notepad you can save-as to several files and delete whole chunks of each to produce a set of smaller dxf's - which you can then open in SE. You just need to make sure you keep the file header stuff, and not delete part way through an element.

If anyone remembers 3-1/2" discs (1.44MB) I had to do this to transfer a large dxf from one computer to another that wasn't part of a network. Worked fine.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

When you say the drawing file is too big and Solid Edge is too slow, are you referring to the sample you attached or a different file?  The one you attached is small and opened rather quickly.

Are you dealing with wiring drawings only or do you have drawings of parts/assemblies as well?   I'd be happy to look at any samples you have (parts/assemblies and their respective drawings (in DWG form).

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Hi Kevin

Yes, pertaining to the attached file.  And yes, Wiring drawing only.   It took me about 5

I am attaching the converted proe file in dwg format.

And after opening, it is too slow to pan and manipulate the colors, and fonts sizes.

You can pan fast but the moment you try to zoom in using the CTRL + Mouse Middle Button, it is too slow.

Secondly, if you cut the wiring diagram and pasted onto another dft file, it is taking too long to paste and save.

Not sure what is going on with my setting or the way I had converted the file.

@beachcomber, I guess you could do the same with Acad or a free dwg compatible software. Then you'd be sure what you were cutting out.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

When converting from ProE/Creo drawing to DWG, do you have an options menu?  If so, can you post a screenshot?

I'm noticing there are a lot of "groups" once the file is opened in SE.  I'm sure there is a setting on export out of ProE/Creo and/or during import of the DWG into SE that might help with performance.

Kevin Grayson

As mentioned earlier, I would check the export options out of ProE/Creo to see if there are some options to not duplicate entities or something similar (it seems like there are a lot of duplicated items).  For those drawings that have already been opened in Solid Edge, you could try ungrouping (Sketch tab, Block (pulldown), Ungroup All).  You could also try using the Clean Sketch command.

Again, check export options first.  Your sample drawing should be relatively fast in performance for what is visible on the drawing.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Grayson

bshand wrote:

@beachcomber, I guess you could do the same with Acad or a free dwg compatible software. Then you'd be sure what you were cutting out.

Very true Bruce.

It was just an idea of how to manipulate a very large dxf without any other compatible software (to be honest I forgot all about the freebies available)

Dassault Draftsight is one of the free ones I believe.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.