OT: What sort of internal instant message system does your company use?

Communication within a company is critical, but not all communication is appropriate for email. Less formal, more interactive communication happens better over IM. I know we use this quite a bit within Solid Edge. I've worked at various places that use various tools, but what does your company use for internal IM?

27 REPLIES

Re: OT: What sort of internal instant message system does your company use?

[ Edited ]

We don't use any where I am now. Well, actually we use our feet and phones.

But I've used messaging systems elsewhere. Maybe you could list some of the popular ones to jar memory.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Cisco Jabber

It's our phone system too. Works pretty well.
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST9 MP3 - Insight

bshand wrote:

We don't use any where am now. Well, actually we use our feet and phones.

But I've used messaging systems elsewhere. Maybe you could list some of the popular ones to jar memory.

Sure, there's  Microsoft Messenger, Lync, Skype, ICQ, AOL (AIM), Yahoo messenger...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_messaging

We talk to each other. Man Tongue

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2017 user

[ Edited ]

I prefer somehting called LAN messenger. It's great because you don't have to set up user accounts, and also if the internet goes down it still works because it is over the network, not the internet.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

rename the file extension to a .exe file instead of .txt.
ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

Matt, I don't see any that ring a bell. The company I worked at just two years ago changed to Skype since I left. Seems like a pretty fluid application regime.

Edit: I think the previous was Lync. I like these apps in large facilities.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Skype is awful. We went to it as well because of our IT providers. LAN messenger is a light install, is not a memory hog, doesn't require user accounts to be set up, and works via your local network, not over the internet.

http://lanmsngr.sourceforge.net/index.php

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

We started using Slack a few months ago. It's a bit more sophisticated than just IM.  You can of course send direct messages to indivudals or groups like IM, but the bulk of the conversation occurs in channels which are kind of like a forum or message board where you can have discussion, images, file sharing, embedded videos etc.  We have a channel for each customer project for discussions around those, plus channels for each product for improvement ideas or a channel for discussion for plans for a trade show etc.

The benefit is that the information is out in the open and available for anyone, and is also searchable etc.  Note, there is the ability to have private channels so not everything is public if you dont want it so!