OT... but not really

[ Edited ]

I found this article about Slack, and how they used the consultant Metalab to develop a better GUI design, very interesting. Not that I ever heard of Slack, nor would ever use it, so I can't comment on how it fares to the competition. But I love the principle behind their philosophy, and on how to go about designing a good Software GUI.

Here's my favorite quote from the piece:

"Most enterprise software looks like a cheap 70's prom suit — muted blues and greys everywhere "

- This guy must be a fellow New Yorker!

<snip>

"Have you ever walked into a house and had an indescribable feeling that it just feels cheap? A professional builder would walk in and give you a laundry list of shortcomings: uneven drywall, gappy hardwood floors, hollow-core doors, and cheap hardware. But most people just have a gut reaction. Like a well-built home, great software focuses on giving its users hundreds of small, satisfying interactions. A great transition in a mobile app gives us the same feeling we get from using a well-made door handle on a solid oak door — you may not be able to put your finger on it, but man, does the house ever feel well built. Slack is really fun to use. It feels like a well-built house."  read more here: medium.com/@awilkinson/slack-s-2-8-billion-dollar-secret-sauce-5c5ec7117908

Solid Edge's GUI has the same "hollow core doors" feel to it, which I'm sure is due to it's reliance of Microsoft's "F"luent restrictions. I realize that this is exactly the reasoning behind this, but think about who makes these decisions. Folks who don't spend a minute of their day using the Solid Edge GUI.... ah the "enterprise" folks!

As many already know, I have for years gripped about this same issues with Solid Edge.  I'm not dragging this dead horse out for another beating, as much as trying to point out just how important the GUI interface is to marketing and how Solid Edge is perceived in the marketplace.

These folks at Slack figured it out.... maybe their consultant Metalab (http://metalab.co/company/) can help Solid Edge present a better and more contemporary face

Bob

2 REPLIES

Re: OT... but not really

[ Edited ]

'We humans have a tendancy to anthropomorphize just about everything, from our pets to inanimate objects. We think cars look like they are smiling, or that a lamp “looks lonely over there”.' - from the article.

To me, SE is a nerdy, highly evolved humanoid mate - aids in solving the toughest design problems and adapts to if one writes a macro. Robot Happy

~Tushar

Re: OT... but not really

I like  and agree bob's assesment. This is not saying it's bad software, on the contrary, For me as a sheet metal guy this is a better tool than The other midrange modelers but it does feel comprimized much of the time.

Most of the details that make it feel that way are in the pet peeves thread. To me the biggest ones are:

The 2D relations command must be started after the point of view is fixed. If I pan or zoom I must restart the command.

The Drop down menues don't "stick" to it's most recently used state.

On the modeling side for sheet metal. The most important work around of all is not available. end the part without altering the flat. Last friday One of my IR's on this become a PR....yippy!