Object count in the status bar

Phenom
Phenom

In the Part environment, the status bar displays the count of selected objects. A similar behavior is however lacking in the Draft environment by default where it could be of more use, especially for those migrating from 2D programs like AutoCAD which displays the number of selected objects in the command prompt.

Is there is a setting or tweak in Solid Edge to have the status bar in Draft show the count of selected objects?

Untitled2.png

3 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: Object count in the status bar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

+1 on this.....it would be a great value add to SE. Not so much for drawing views, but in the case of sketch elements created [or imported] in draft.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Sean,

Here's a solutions I worked out self.

Wrote a tiny macro that does this. The macro is attached.

Steps:

1. Copy both the SelCount.zip and extract the files SelCount.ex_ and SelCount.PNG.

2. Rename the macro extension to .exe

3. Keep the macro and the image file in the same folder i.e. the PNG should always accompany the macro and in the same folder.

This is because when you assign the macro to a button on the ribbon, the PNG being the same name as the macro will be displayed on the button.

4. Also assigning a keyboard shortcut would be a nice trick.

How to use:

1. After copying the macro and the PNG to a folder, assign the macro to a button in the Draft environment. The empty slot next to the Select button would be a great place.

I assigned Ctrl+F as a shortcut as seen below:

SelCount01.png

2. Select objects in the Draft sheet and click the button or use the KB shortcut.

3. Observe the status bar or Prompt bar which displays the count of selected object.

SelCount02.png

Notes:

• Displays count (0 objects) even when nothing selected.

• Stable - does not work in any other environ except Draft.

• Ideally should be created as an add-in which automatically detects mouse events.

• Good to use till some future version of SE has this as a standard feature.

~Tushar Suradkar

http://surfandcode.blogspot.in/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tushar,

VERY well done!.....I'm not much for macro's, opting to use the various techniques available [& sometimes, NOT] in "vanilla" Solid Edge as much as possible,....but they surely seem to have their place, in the right hands.

For this type of task I would normally use Rhino. Especially where I want to find the number of turret punching single hits for slots, that I suspect the macro would return a count of 4 entities per slot, which is fine to allow for, but only if they're all the same entity count...where as in Rhino, I can run a "Join" command, that will then count the continuous loops as individual entities.

I'll have a rattle with your macro later on, just need to satisfy a our sales team with a few renderings before the end of my work day [& week], in 4 hours. Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10