Object on/off

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In general, what is the easiest way to turn stuff in a model on an off?

When I say on and off, I mean compleatly.

1 Visual display in both model and drafted view

2 Weight of the model file (|R format)

3 Parts list

Is there a single switch that handles all thoes issues at once?

Note: I can't use family of part, this is to divelope a work around for family of parts.

11 REPLIES

Re: Object on/off

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OK, so you are trying to create a family of parts without using Family of Parts?

1. Can't really be done for Draft/Assy use other than to use the Simplified model but you only get one and essentially all you can do with it is "de-feature" the model.  May be usefule for a Net versus Cast part.
  2. The Mass is the Mass, you either show it or don't.  You cannot have multiple versiosn of it.
  3. Parts List - not sure what your asking... maybe changing the part number? If so, no way to do this.

The bigger question is why are you trying to not use Family of Parts for the family of parts process?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Ocurrence Properties and / or display configurations.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have many assembly that are very close to each other. If there was a way to turn a feature on and off, each would work for 2 to 20 parts. As it works right now I have to copy the design and edit it.

Now if I want to make a change to a design detail, then I have to go edit all 20 designs rather than one that is used for everything.

I can't use family of part. Using planes to control geometry prevents me from using this feature.

each design is actually an assembly with 20 "assembly created sheet metal parts".

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That makes sense.  Shortcoming of the FOP as implemented.  This may be a good candidate for an Engineer To Order configuration tool like RuleStream or other product.  Allows you to create a super configuration of parts and assemblies and then easily spit a new configuration of files out based on varying inputs.

Thanks,
Ken

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What is FOP?

I just thought the ability to turn a few things on and off would be simple.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Family Of Parts Smiley Embarassed

Thanks,
Ken

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I was reading through this again.

Parts list. Either the part shows up or does not on the list.

After some more homework. I should ask the question another way.

Looking at the Occurrence properties, can the Draft ref, reports/parts, drawing views, and Physical properties be combined into a single switch? Turning all of them on or off is really what I'm looking for in a single switch (=ON/OFF). Really I would like the check box in the model tree to operate this way. When it's off, it's like it does not exist.

So taking this a step further. I would like to like the display switch to also turn everything about that object off. This is how I expected it to operate to begin with.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you need to be more specific as to what you are trying to do because what I have interpreted was you have a single PAR/PSM file that you want to have represent multiple part configs and want to turn on/off the various items you listed for each representation.

Occurence properties only work at an assembly on a component.  So do Configurations.

So my question would be which are we talking:  Turning on/off different part representations in a single PAR/PSM, or Turning on/off different components in an ASM?

Thanks,
Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

12GAGE wrote:

I was reading through this again.

Parts list. Either the part shows up or does not on the list.

After some more homework. I should ask the question another way.

Looking at the Occurrence properties, can the Draft ref, reports/parts, drawing views, and Physical properties be combined into a single switch? Turning all of them on or off is really what I'm looking for in a single switch (=ON/OFF). Really I would like the check box in the model tree to operate this way. When it's off, it's like it does not exist.

So taking this a step further. I would like to like the display switch to also turn everything about that object off. This is how I expected it to operate to begin with.

This seems like you'd need to make a macro for the individual [if they're even acceable this way] functions and their desired state, whereby running the macro sets them to the opposite of all those function states.

Way deeper than how I thought this topic was headed....and Solid Edge is not like this OOTB, because not many people want this to be that way.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000