Obselete parts

Hi, just installed ST9. I currently have a problem concerning part status. I thought that with the new management tools I would be able to correct it but I haven't been. In make part making process, to make sure a part doesn't change once the drawing is approved, I release the part. But when I revise this part, I' unable to change the status of the obselete revision since it is release. What could I do ?? thanks 

4 REPLIES

Re: Obselete parts

Two options, pre-ST9 (since I haven't checked out the new "revman" yet).

1) Copy the released file to your archive folder.  The new copy will have an "available" status that you can turn to "obsolete."  Then delete the released file.

2) Find and use the Status Changer macro.

http://www.barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/index.htm

or

Jason Newell's, if anyone can provide the link, mainly Power Toys.

Ideally anything you have "Released" needs to have a Revision made from it which with the built in DM tools supports.  Once something is Released, Baselined, Obsoleted, you can only make a copy or a revision to edit, or as Scott suggested, find the StatusChanger macro.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

It's true, but sometimes Released parts had upgrades to fit other projects, and the part is updated to fit all.

So, we need to make a revision and set it as Released. And make the older one as obselete.

Hummm, and we cannot do it on Solid Edge and/or Design Manager and/or Windows Explorer...

That Macro on earlier reply work well. But the future solution should not be an Macro.

Made already an IR "#7869698: Cannot change from RELEASED status" that is concern with this and an IR "#7869750: Release Revision B could set Revision A to Obsolete" that could be an OPTION on Data Management Options to preform an obsolete status to out of date documents (released earlier versions)

Hi,

I fully agree with Your call.

It must be possible to change a status to obsolete or fixed from released.

regards
Wolfgang