Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh! That works nice! - KUDUs to SE

Legend
Legend

To be frank, Solid Edge and I are going through a rough patch.

However, there are still times when I'll try something just in case it actually works.  So as an inverse to the Pet Peeves thread I'm hoping we can have a thread that highlights some things that Solid Edge does well.  There are many things it does well and I begin to take them for granted.  If you have one of those moments where a command works better than expected or when Solid Edge lives up to our lofty expectations and you have a minute maybe share it.  Hopefully others can benefit from it as well.

I will start with something I just did that I cannot believe it worked.

Dragging planes, sketches, and features to different areas of the model works better than I could imagine and almost never fail or break other stuff.

I'm in a multi-body model where I have a part copy of an existing part, then bodies that replicate sections of the mold that I want to add removable inserts to.  I have multiple boolean operations as in this case it seemed simpler to model the inserts then cut them from the base part copy.  I grouped the steps for each insert body to keep them organized, then the next feature after a group is the boolean subtract from the part body.  I needed to add countersunk holes for the screws that mount the insert into the existing mold.  Then I realized that those holes need to be after the subtract because the part filled those holes.  I grabbed the nested group named "MountingHoles" and dragged it out of the insert group it was part of and dropped it below the subtract feature.  IT WORKED! nothing was broken and the part did not fill the volume of the mounting holes!  So I decided to save, end my day there and write this post.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.
12 REPLIES

Re: Oh! That works nice! - KUDUs to SE

Phenom
Phenom

My former marriage counselor would be so proud of you. Now, if you can say all this without using either "I" or "You" then I'd say you two are on your way to fixing this!

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Solid Edge does an excellent job at loosing inner-part copies. Smiley Frustrated

Phenom
Phenom

@MattSI don't usually lose my inter-part copies. I actually can't think of the last time I've had that happen. Unless the part or part face went away. I've always found it best to always only interpart copy in one direction, and preferably only off of one part, a master model if you will.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Four years ago, the first week I used SE, I fitgured out that planes were the right control between assembly and part sketches. Been taking advantage of it ever sense for re-sizable and re-gageable sheet metal box's.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I really like how the variable table keeps updating during animations, it is very helpful for creating interesting motion.

Solid Edge ST10 MP5 - Windows 8.1 - K2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hole quantity count in draft is my new favorite.  It's awsome that it highlights the hole set when you click the callout.  The only problem I've had is when it includes holes on faces OTHER THAN the one I'm dimensioning.

Russ

Phenom
Phenom

Kudos to development to have Simulation recognize that the file you are analyzing is a Frame file and the Solid Edge Simulation "pre-configures" (aka limits) your new study to the applicable studies and mesh types!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

FYI, I just noticed this morning that we had our default count property set to %QA instead of %QC.  No wonder we were getting some false quantities.

Sheesh!

Genius
Genius

How about the SolidWorks Data Migration that allows you to migrate data from SolidWorks over to Solid Edge and MAINTAIN ASSOCIATIVITY!  When I first saw this I thought it was incredible. 

I've listened to many sales pitches from VAR's that try to get you to make the switch to their CAD system and they all say that you can convert your existing data over to their system.  However it is often misleading. Yes, you can convert the drawing to a dwg and then back into the new CAD system's format.  You can convert models to parasolid and then into the new CAD system's format but it ends there.  There is no associativty and the models are often difficult to make any edits since it is not native to the new CAD system.

However, Solid Edge's ability to migrate the SolidWorks data over to Solid Edge and reestablish associativity between the translated drawing and translated model and that is impressive.  Couple this functionality with Synchronous Technology's ability to easily make changes to the translated models and they have now done something I did not think was possible.  It is really amazing to see the files migrated to Solid Edge, then open the model, make changes with Synchronous Technology, and then go into the drawing and actually watch us update as if you made everything originally in Solid Edge.  

There is always room for improvement such as some weldments that were done in SolidWorks or certain habits of the detailer can impact the efficiency of the translation.  However for many components it is no longer faster to remodel and redraw the parts when using Solid Edge.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP