One More Reason to Attend SEU

Microsoft will have the recently announced Surface Pro 4 (my next device!) and a Surface Book (also totally awesome) at Solid Edge University in their booth. 

Solid Edge runs totally awesome on both devices. This will be your chance to check it out.

See you there!

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
11 REPLIES

Re: One More Reason to Attend SEU

How does the surfacepro4 handles keyshot and render. My computer is a beast and render are still long to do . I dont think the surface can replace a destop. Am i wrong ??

@AlexBergeron Bring your files to SEU and find out! Smiley Happy 

You raise a good question with KeyShot. Photorealistic rendering is like the only thing (that and FEA) that can naturally take advantage of multiple CPU/Cores. So a machine with 8 CPUS is going to tear through rendering compared to a machine with one. I don't know for sure, but I think this is the one area where a "professional grade workstation" might have an edge.

DS

Dan Staples

I'm sorry, i cant go to SEU Smiley Sad. And there is the fact that the surfacepro4 doesnt have a dedicated video card. 

The "lack" of dedicated graphics card is NOT an issue. This I swear. The Surface Pro3 really runs SE like a champ -- even large assemblies -- thousands of parts and very interactive. I am not kidding. But you have to try it to believe it.

Again, so sorry you can't attend SEU. We have such confidence in the Surface Pro and SE that we will have an entire classroom of 40 Surface Pro 3 devices as the device for all the sessions/training in that room. (HP and Lenovo are supplying the other rooms)

Dan Staples

I can attest to the greatness, of this combination.....I have been using Solid Edge on my Surface Pro 3 as a "complete" desktop replacement, for almost exactly one year now, with no real hassles at all....even when travelling. It really is a remarkable device.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I'll add my name to the game.  Surface Pro 3 has replaced my desktop.  I keep most of my data on the cloud, and I'm docked when at home.  It's great taking Surface anywhere knowing that I'll have the same experience on the road as I do at home.

And the simple, yet often overlooked, wireless connectivity to projectors and other periphials makes connection to other (borrowed) tools when on travel easy, too.

Now I may be way off on this, but doesn't the Surface Pro just use the 6th gen I3/I5/I7 integrated HD graphics which could be had in any device powered by those processors, thus making this something that is not unique to the Surface Pro?  And if they work so well, doesn't this mean that there may no longer be a need for discreet graphics cards from NVIDIA and AMD?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

@Grundey No, you are probably not that far off technically -- Intel integrated graphics have become VERY good. This is great to see. The kickers with "any device" are two fold however:

1. The surface has an awesome ACTIVE stylus. This means you can do precise work away from your desk. Most stylus are passive -- just a finger proxy -- and we all know how good our fat fingers are for drawing. Of course Apple recently copied this with their "Apple Pencil".

2. The Surface Pro is CERTIFIED by the Solid Edge team. We don't try to certify any other "low end" device. Only the MS Surface Pro has our attention -- and Microsoft's cooperation --  in this regard.

DS

Dan Staples

@dcstaples, which SP4 is certified?  Guessing the m3 version is out as it's limited to 4GB memory and only 128 GB storage.  So an i5 or i7 with 16GB of memory and 256 GB of storage is pricing out as $1500-$1800.  Not really a low end device price...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10