Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One-shot, multi-size drawing printing

Pioneer
Pioneer

So, our draft templates are size-specific. B, C, and D, with each beginning with an A size "summary" sheet. We have PLs on the drawing and seperate. With that, I don't imagine our printing workflow is all that different from most folks, unless I've missed something.

Printing is a painfully manual process, having to print the A-size in portrait (specifying sheet numbers) in one operation, and then printing B-size drawing sheets (again specifying sheet numbers) in landscape. My instinct tells me this is a function of the printing management software (Konica-Minolta 554e), but I feel like I've exhausted my competency going through those options.

Anybody else have to go through this? I'm almost pretty definitely sure it's the printing software.

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000
4 REPLIES

Re: One-shot, multi-size drawing printing

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Any single drawing number should be a single size. Some even go so far as to have the paper size as a part of the drawing number.

I would reccomend making all pages the largest size you are using and remove pages by combining.

If the need is for one large page, make that a different drawing.

if you MUST have multi size, single drawings.....you are stuck with what you are doing.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you looked at the Print Drawings (as distinct from Print) command for this? That is what it is for -- doing a bunch of various drawings all at one time. It even has ability to put several on a single sheet (kind of like nesting, but not quite). I have not used it in forever, but maybe it fits the bill?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

Raytheon, GD, and NASA used to include the drawing size into their drawing numbers, but all have abandoned it. Too tricky when the sheet size is changed. I don't think it happens a lot anymore, with full-size plots becoming less commonplace. I know it's likely different in your place, 12GAGE, when detail needs to be prominent and in your face on the shop floor.

Even so, we can't be the only company using parts list tables formatted to auto-paginate at the end of the sheet tabs in a draft file. I've always been a proponent of letting the software do the work for you, as much as can reasonably be expected. But this seems like a hit to efficiency that someone should have solved by now. I'll have to look in to some .pdf options, or a macro, I suppose.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Dan, I'll look at that. I don't have our installation (ST6) in front of me, at home sick today. But I'll look at it in the ST10 trial I have installed. It sounds like it batch prints many different draft files, whereas I have the one draft file with different sheet sizes.