Open Draft

[ Edited ]

Hello Edgers:

The attached macro opens the Draft document of the currently open Part or Sheet Metal file.

If multiple Drafts exist where the current model has views, the program prompts to optionally open each.

The Draft could be in the same folder as the model or a sub-folder.

If no Draft exist, the macro prompts to create a new one.

OD01.jpg

A similar macro that opens the Windows Explorer with the same folder as the current Solid Edge document is here. This functionality is also available in ST 9.

Hope you find both macros useful till then.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

Note: This macro uses modified source code from this post.

20 REPLIES

Re: Open Draft

Extremely helpful! Thanks a lot!

This functionality was, sort of, possible with the great macro's from incobase, but this one is more easy.

Something like this should be standard SE.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Love it!!!!

@Tushar, that's neat but we couldn't use it because our drafts are in one folder up from our models. For example:

JobFolder contains drafts.

JobFolder\mod contains models.

Now, if it was possible to modify the search path...

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

.... and we have the possibility of more than one draft file per model !

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

@Joris

You are welcome.

I located the macro on the Incobase webpage and anxious to see how it works. I was not aware that this macro already exists since so long. The zip is blocked by company firewall and I will check it on my home computer in a few hours.

@TDB Thanks!

@bshand

The Solid Edge API supports searching in just the sub-folders or the same folder where the model lives.

If the folder structure is setup in the way you described, I can possibly modify the macro to climb a level up and start a search for the Drafts from there down. This should probably not hamper the search for who still have their drafts in the same or nested folders below the model. I will give this a try and update this thread soon.

@beachcomber

I will delve deeper into the API and explore the possibility of reporting all Drafts and subsequently open them selectively or all, as per user preference.

~Tushar

[ Edited ]

@bshand

The attached macro (and also the one in the opening post) goes up one folder from the model i.e. the parent folder and searches for the Draft.

~Tushar

@Tushar, I don't want to seem like a PITA but I'm going to anyway. Can you make it work with asm files too?

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

@Tushar, Maybe interesting?: I have a part that is in a draft with several other parts. They are discrete parts, not from an asm. But such a draft does not open with the macro. Must it be one file per draft or ...?

Edit: more cans of worms. It's never simple is it?

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand

I am looking into both of your suggestions.

~Tushar