Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open draft from Excel with hyperlink

Creator
Creator

Hi All.

(up intill last week before our ST10 update) We used a certain Excel sheet with links to all drafts in a project. From within this sheet, links are generated to the drafts were are working with. Keep in mind this is not a macro opening the draft, but it is literally just a hyperlink to a .dft file. 

Pic1.png

So normally, I would just click the cell which includes a hyperlink to the draft file. 

However, since last week when I click a link, Excel seems to crash. However, if I wait for 10-15 minutes, the following msgbox pops up:

Pic2.png

Another 10 minutes of waiting, the following window pops up.

Pic3.png

When I click OK, the drafts opened. At that time I waited for at least 15-20 minutes for an action which used to cost me 1 or 2 seconds. The warning about opening the file was sometimes shown, but that was immediately after clicking the link.

My feeling says It has something to do with the SE ST 10 update. However I could also argue that the problem is coming from Excel, because while waiting Solid Edge can be used.

I really hope someone can help me with this problem. It is a huge timesaver to open the drafts from Excel and not having to look everything up in file explorer.

[I am aware that I can just write a macro to open the draft file, but I think opening wit hyperlinks is easier and more efficient than writing and maintaining a new macro.]

10 REPLIES

Betreff: Open draft from Excel with hyperlink

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Korst

so the actual relevant questions are:

• Will a Double-Click from explorer open the draft correctly
    and
  • Which license of Solid Edge are You using

Due to the fact of several posts in the 2D forum I have seen, that the free 2D St10 seems to hav e a major bug relating the "Opening of old drafts"

Maybe this is the real issue?

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Korst

or could it be that any Antivirus software has a problem with the new Solid Edge installation?

There is a new path now engaged and maybe this one is blocked by the antivirus software.

The message box somehow points into this direction

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi @hawcad

Thanks for your reply!

here are my answers to your relevant questions:

1. Will a Double-Click from explorer open the draft correcty
    Yes.
  2. Which license of Solid Edge are You using
    We are using Solid Edge Classic licenses

or could it be that any Antivirus software has a problem with the new Solid Edge installation?

There is a new path now engaged and maybe this one is blocked by the antivirus software.

The message box somehow points into this direction

I don't think it has anything to do with my Antivirus sofware. The second message box has always been shown when opening a draft with a hyperlink. after I click OK, the draft will open just fine. However, since last week it takes at least 15 minutes before this msgbox is shown. So I could search for the problem in Excel. However I don't have a clue what it could be..

Hi @Korst

just did a similar test with a link from an Excel table and got exactly the same problems.

After the question about opening a document form an application the "Sand Watch" was running, and running, and running, and .....

So I suppose this more or less is a problem together with excel, windows, linked documents, or what ever ...

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi @hawcad

Good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem..

I will dig into the Excel/windows as root of this problem.. Maybe it is caused by a windows/excel update..

Thanks for your help anyways!

Hi @Korst

welcome and let us knwo if You will find out more about it.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi @hawcad,

I learned something today: It is probably caused by the "View and Markup" Application I (we?) installed to fix our (32bit) macro -> (64bit) Solid Edge ST10 compatibility. The function (opening a draft with a hyperlink) works like a charm on the PC of a colleague who doesn't have the "View and Markup" application installed.

In the coming weeks, we are updating our office to 64 bit version. After that, I will uninstall "View and Markup" and pray that this function will work normal again.

Genius
Genius
That is the same problem we are having with V&M installed for Insight that it messed up a PC trying to open a Solid Edge file embedded in Word. Uninstalling V&M from the Windows10 PC and re-installing Solid Edge has not "fixed" the problem.

If you are moving to 64 bit, I am assuming it will be a reload of everything. Do not install V&M with Solid Edge if you do not need to.
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Creator
Creator

Hi @DaleSmith

Thanks for you reply. That is bad news.. We are updating Microsoft Office to 64bit without a reload or reinstall of the complete system. 

We are going to try to uninstall V&M and hope it works after that, but my expectations are tempered after reading your message.