Open several revisions of parts in one application?

Creator
Creator

Hello,

my question:

I use Solid Edge ST8 with Teamcenter. 

The problem is that i can't open assembly with several revisions of a part in the sub-assambly's. The reason is that the several revisions of the part have the same file-name in the cache. 

Has somebody a solution for me?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Johannes

17 REPLIES

Re: Open several revisions of parts in one application?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If the other revision of a parts are in a different directory, then it becomes a new part from SE's perspective. As a quick fix try to move the other reivions of parts to a sub directory. This only works if the part are assembled from the location you will use it. So that may not be much help. This will also be a problem if you use revision manager and try to move everything back a single directory.

Assuming you don't want to re-asemble and your goal is to compare versions. I would copy the entire design to a new location. then open the varius version. Then insert all the versions into a single overall assembly.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

How is that possible in a managed environment?

1) Teamcenter stores the files in a flat file structure.

2) The user is only allowed to define a single cache folder.

I was told that any manual manipulation of the contents of the cache folder will screw up synchronization with the copy in Teamcenter.

Creator
Creator

In my Teamcenter-Area i have a fix cache-folder. So i can't put several part-revisions in diffrent folders...

In my System every revison of a Part has the same filename and so SE can't load diffrent parts with the same filename from the same cache-folder...

Does anyone work with diffrent part-file names for every revision?

Creator
Creator

In this Video it is said that in ST9 it will be possible to open several revisions of parts in one application.

Does it also work when the several revisions of parts were built in at the same assambly-strukture.

How does this solution in ST9 work. Do they have diffrent part-filenames for the revisions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8HS6gmBcog

Regards

Johannes

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@12GAGE SEEC assembly file structure on disk does not work the same as unmanaged Solid Edge.

Everything from here on out applies specifically to SEEC and does *not* apply to unmanaged Solid Edge.

Prior to ST9, opening multiple revisions for the same part in different sub- assemblies *cannot* be accomplished within SEEC.

Prior to ST9, you would have the top level assembly using only one revision, and the same revision, for the same part in different sub-assemblies. Which revision of the part you use in all sub-assemblies can be dictated by which revision rule you open the top level assembly with. However, depending on revision rules, precise/imprecise, etc. that is not always guaranteed ;-)

Starting with ST9, we now allow you to open multiple revisions of the same part within in different sub-assemblies of the top assembly. See the ST9 What's New:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:index_newse:xid459374:xid459375:xid...

And see the help documentation on "Using multiple revisions of documents":

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:index_managing_documents:xid280015:...

So the direct answer to your questions are:

Q. "[I] can't open assembly with several revisions of a part in the sub-assambly's?"
A. Cannot be accomplished in any shape, form, or fashion with ST8.

Q. Has somebody a solution for me?
A. Yes! Upgrade to ST9.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Honigbaer There are many caveats to opening multiple revisions of the same part in SEEC. Please refer to the help documentation I provided in my previous response.

The solution in ST9 works by *temporarily* renaming the files on disk when brought down to the cache.

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your answer!

Sounds good.

I will try the update in the next weeks and hope i can give you a positive feedback Smiley Happy

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I am sure you will give a positive Feedback, i tried it already it works fine.

Do not forget to set the TC Preference: SEEC_Enable_MultipleRevisions to true

Have much fun with St9 it is a really great version for the managed mode with Teamcenter

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It sounds like I will have some major problems if I ever have to move to a managed environment. I have some files coppied 100+ times in different directories (Jobs). They are the same files with only overall dimensions and sometimes the gage changed. Each producting unique flat patterns. 

Sorry to stear anybody wrong since I don't work in a managed environment.