OpenGL?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Does Soild Edge use OpenGL graphics? If so, does anyone know what OpenGL version? 

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
10 REPLIES

Re: OpenGL?

Phenom
Phenom

Solid Edge uses OpenGL. To know the version install a OpenGL viewer

If you are looking for the programming part of it, Jason Newell has samples posted here and here to use OpenGL calls to create some very useful stuff within Solid Edge.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the excellent information. I ran the OpenGL tool and it seems to report the OpenGL version currently supported by the graphics card. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a specific OpenGL version that Solid Edge requires. The reason I am asking is because I am trying to run Solid Edge on a MacBook Air via Parallels. Everything seems to work great except for one small graphics ghosting glitch that I think may be tied to the Parallels OpenGL driver. I can clear the ghosting issue with a screen refesh but it can make geometry selection while moving the steering wheel a little confusing. See YouTube link below.

I'm working with Parallels support and they have asked what OpenGL version Solid Edge requires to help in the troubleshooting. Parallels only supports up to OpenGL v2.1 so if Solid Edge requires a higher version, that may be the issue. I'm guessing not many folks try to run Solid Edge on a Mac via Parallels but, in my workflow, it would be convenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzTZEQrY0E

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, I did understand your question originally but don't have specific information.

Looking at the video, it appears to be a graphics driver issue.

Please see this post with 14 messages, I hope using the information out there you will be able to solve the Steering Wheel ghosting issue.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Anybody else get a virus/trojan firewall alert trying to download the viewer for Tushar's link?

TrojanAlert.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Run sesysinfo.exe located in the Solid Edge\Program folder.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@JasonTitcomb, Where is the open GL info in the command results?

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

You do need to have a part or assembly document open before you run sesysinfo.exe.

You didn't say if you tried different application display settings within the Solid Ddge options?

I don't see it in the readme but I believe OpenGL 3.0 is needed for best performance.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@JasonTitcomb,

I have a part open and here's the video adapter info the program gives:

Video adapter information:
   Adapter: NVIDIA, NVIDIA Quadro K4200,
   ChipSet: Quadro K4200, Integrated RAMDAC, 4096MB
   Bios Info: Version 80.4.fe.0.15
   GDI Driver: cdd.DLL (6.1.7601.17554
)
   ICD Driver: nvoglv64.DLL  (10.18.13.5382)
   Driver Topology: Homogeneous
   Display: DELL E228WFP:1680x1050@59Hz:{a=90|e=96}dpi, ASUS VE276:1920x1080@60Hz:{a=82|e=96}dpiSmiley Tongue
   ActiveData: NVIDIA Corporation | NVIDIA Quadro K4200/Quadro K4200/PCIe/SSE2 | 10.18.13.5382 | WIN7 | HX | HX | DL,SL,MB
   AutoConfig: NVIDIA | Quadro | * | WIN7 | HX | HX | DL,SL,MB

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback on this. I did hear back from GTAC support and they say that Solid Edge requires OpenGL v3.0 or higher. Parallels only supports OpenGL v2.1. Parallels support is looking into the issue and I will provide feedback if they get back to me. They are not sure it is an OpenGL 3.0 issue.

As one of the posters mentioned, Solid Edge display settings can be changed to reduce the ghosting graphics issue. If you uncheck the following box in the Solid Edge Options > View menu, you will not get the ghosting issue when you move the steering wheel as I showed in the video. 

Picture1.png

By the way, I did notice another graphics issues in that the View > Floor Shadows don't display properly and can cause some weirdness when you try to extrude sketches. If you turn off floor shadows, things work OK. 

It's far from an ideal configuration and certainly would not be my first choice, but Solid Edge running on a Mac via Parallels seems to be workable. Vmware Fusion is another option and the latest version (v8) does support OpenGL 3.3 so maybe Solid Edge graphics would be better. In the past, I have not found Fusion to work as well as Parallels for CAD applications but things may have changed with the latest Fusion version.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10