Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Opening .DFT file in Solid Edge ST8 in multiple instances on Windows 10

Creator
Creator

Hello, i have new description of problem. If I open some .dft files "using Solid program" (in program click on OPEN .... )  then function - switch window is available. But if i open some .dtf files from windows explorer, then this function is not active. 

Any tips?

Many thanks!

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hello, we had similar problems here with draft files opening in seperate instances, but it was windows 7. It was just one user on a PC. No other user on the same PC had this problem. This occurs when a user sets the standard program to open e.g. a dft file. When you do this the standard for Solid Edge disappears and you dont't get Revision Manager, View and Markup or even Solid Edge in the shortcut menue in Explorer and it will open an instance of Solid Edge every time you double click on that file type you manually changed the standard for. Solutuion is: There shoul be no other key than "OpenWithList" and "OpenWithProgids" at HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dft. In my case I deleted the key "UserChoice". Be careful when working with the registry and be sure you have a backup ready. HTH Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hello, on my PC there is no other key than "OpenWithList" and "OpenWithProgids". So nothing to delete.. Smiley Sad

Problem still persist.

Any other idea?

Many thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Delete your Windows user profile and recreate it.

Creator
Creator

That is not possible, on machine running many anothers applications depending on user Smiley Sad

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

That is always possible, and is an acceptable method to resolve various issues, not just Solid Edge related, but also many WIndows related issues -- you are just making a conscious decision to not do this. A user profile reset can be accomplished in five minutes and can resolve the issue. Instead you are choosing to spend many hours trying to find a different solution. IMHO, it is much better to have the issue resolved and the user back up and running than to spend energy pursuing other workarounds that otherwise can be easily resolved.

If you create a new Windows user profile, but not actually delete the existing user's profile, does this issue go away with a new profile or not?  If the issue goes away under a new profile, then reset the existing user's profile and move on.    If the issue remains under a new Windows profile, then rebuild the workstation and move on.  This is not a common issue that is being reported by other customers and appears to be unique to your one user/machine.