Opening SE ST5 academic files with a retail version

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello

I just finished my university studies where I used SE ST5 academic and now I am working in a company that is using SE ST6, so it turns out that my projects that I did in the university would be really useful for me in my work.

So my question:

Is there a way that I can convert my academic license assemblies to the retail version so I could use them in their full extent. Not just save them in parasolid and then open in the retail version.

Looking forward to your replies

6 REPLIES

Re: Opening SE ST5 academic files with a retail version

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Quick answer is "No".  This is a preventative measure meant to keep free or almost free versions from being used to do commercial work.  This gets tricky when universities do R&D projects for companies, and probably should require the universities to aquire commercial license for those activities.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

OS,

If you save your assemblies as Parasolid files you will then be able to read these into the commercial version of Solid Edge.

Cheers

Mark

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

You could try sending them to your companies Solid Edge reseller with a few words around your now changed circumstances? I imagine that those in power will have the technology to unblock files on a case by case basis? I imagine this would be a case where some sort of exemption could be granted?

Shane Murray
ST10 MP0

Phenom
Phenom

One of the import types IGES/X_T/STEP earlier had a recognize features facility, I don't remember which and can't see this in my demo license of SE. Also I made a jump from SE 20 to ST6 so not sure, but there always was a recognize feature when importing foreign data, so you could almost get the original part back to life.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Bare in mind, any draft files will NOT maintain any associativity when exporting them as IGES, DWG or DXF......they would be best considered a start again, from the newly imported models.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The "recognize features" function was removed a few releases ago with the progression of Synchronous Tech as a viable alternative for working with imported data.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1