Opinions on handling a torsion spring - spec, modify, in assembly

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

We're using a couple of torsion springs in a new machine.  The spring will be purchased for now since quantities are low.  We will bend one leg to fit into a part.  The spring is preloaded in the assembly.  So I have a spec drawing, a modification drawing and an a deflected part to show in the assembly drawing.  I think I will need a family of parts.  One member to show the stock spring, one to show the leg bent ( I'll create a new feature and supress the stock leg) and one with a move faces command to rotate the straight leg into the deflected position.  Of course I have another spring that is similar but the opposite hand.  I could probably use and insert part link with a mirror image to make it.  What do you think?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
4 REPLIES

Re: Opinions on handling a torsion spring - spec, modify, in assembly

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi Kyle,

Seems to me like you have this pretty well covered.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Sean,

I think so, I just wanted to make sure before I started making family members and mirrored inserted parts linked to family members.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Your planned procedure sounds good. My only comment would be the mathematical weight of the part in the assembly if you are going to realistically model the torsion spring with a helical feature. Sometimes they can really drag a model down badly. I know you said you only have two in your assembly so perhaps it won't be a problem. Possibly you could could model it with a properly sized cylinder in a simplified way showing only the key features that require attention.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Bob,

You're exactly right.  I took the approach of just using a cylinder for the main coil and then a straight protrusion for one leg and an swept protrusion for the bent leg.  The straight leg then gets the rotate faces command to move it into the deflected position.  That feature can be suppressed when I'm showing the spring in the "relaxed" position family member.  I almost never model coils since as you mentioned they load up the system plus they're a pain to work with.

For extension springs, I model a cylinder and then model rings for the end loops.  If they need to look pretty, I just pain them with a thread texture and tweak the x and y scale to simulate coils.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1